Is there a qualitative difference between Luxfer and Catalina Al. tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FredGarvin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Additionally, I noticed the K-valves on a XS Scuba tank - made by Luxfer - seems to be made of a higher quality construction. Is there a real difference? Luxfer seems a bit more expensive too.

Garv

Catalina cylinders typically have Sherwood valves on them. Sherwood makes some of the best valves in the gas industry. It is my understanding that with Catalina, the valve put on them is the dealer's choice.

I think both have similar quality, I have owned and used both. About the only difference is that Luxfers ride better when slung.

Last edited:
I dont think anybody could say one is "better" than the other,there are slight differances but its probably a personal choice as to the one you buy and use.Both are very good cylinders.

Valves are pretty much of a muchness as well in my opinion, the casings are all brass, they all have a rubber handle, a spindle and a closing seat, - these parts are all pretty infallable under normal working conditions.

I do agree Sherwood valves have an excellant reputation as durable and robust, but I also think its because they were way ahead of the game a few years back, valves havent progressed much over the years, and today most of the other manufacturers have caught up and are producing valves of equal or better quality.

Its not easy to find a valve thats going to be problematic function wise :D - generally the only place some of the manufacturers may fall down is on "stamping" and "finish" quality -and here Sherwood has an excellant reputation.

Catalinas are about a half pound less positive, that's a good thing. If you're buying used and are concerned about a confused LDS giving you a hard time with filling an older AL tank, a nice thing about Catalina is that they never used the older alloy that Luxfer before 1988 used.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom