Is there a hyperbaric chamber on Fij?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is the information I found when searching the internet because I was wondering the same thing since I'm going to Fiji in May 2019 with ScubaBoard. It says they'll have one soon in Suva, but I don't know their definition of "soon."

FHTA Update On The Decompression Chamber Requirement For Divers

FHTA-781-680x365.jpg

August 23
13:102018
Share it With Friends
 0 Comments

The Fiji Hotel and Tourism Association (FHTA) is working to build a new decompression chamber.

The FHTA has been in discussions with the Colonial War Memorial (CWM) hospital and the Ministry for Tourism since the Association became aware that the old decompression chamber was no longer operational in 2017.

Through its Dive Committee, it assisted with the technical specifications for the tender of the new chamber that has been confirmed for installation and commissioning by late this year.

Chief executive officer of FHTA, Fantasha Lockington said: “The dive market is a very lucrative and high-end segment of the industry with dive enthusiasts from around the world coming to Fiji to dive the “soft coral capital of the world.

“So we are thrilled that the Government has worked with us to have one in place soon.

“We have had to advise divers and dive wholesalers that divers must “dive conservatively” and be extra careful while in Fiji because there were no decompressions chamber and obviously this affects our dive numbers negatively especially for those divers wanting to dive deeper depths,” Ms Lockington said.

The other repercussion for Fiji is that most salvage work is on-hold till a decompression chamber is operational as this is an insurance requirement for salvage companies to undertake often very dangerous underwater work carried out at deep depths.

Local commercial dive companies are losing business because they cannot do required work that also includes the removal of wrecks in the Suva, Lautoka and Levuka Harbours which are on-hold pending the confirmation that a chamber is available.

“The faster we get the chamber, the safer it will be for local and international divers and we could fast track the cleaning up of our harbours for a cleaner environment.”

For people who are searching ... an update.
There is now apparently a chamber at the Colonial War Memorial Hospital in Suva. But it seems they may be having a problem finding staff to run it.

A recent incident (posted to facebook) highlighted an incident in Fiji where the shop told the diver the nearest chamber was in New Zealand.

For people who are searching ... an update.
There is now apparently a chamber at the Colonial War Memorial Hospital in Suva. But it seems they may be having a problem finding staff to run it.

A recent incident (posted to facebook) highlighted an incident in Fiji where the shop told the diver the nearest chamber was in New Zealand.
I called Dan last year and got the New Zealand option as well from there information person. The Dan person left me on hold to check before relaying this response so it wasn't a check's in the mail answer.That's a pretty long plane ride to get to chamber. I believe he said five hours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom