Is there a diver-friendly airline...when it comes to luggage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just came back from a trip to the West Coast. Flying with cold water gear, you are guaranteed to be overweight, especially on the way back. The problem solved by paying for a second bag. On a $500 ticket, the $20 each direction for the extra bag is much cheaper than gambling with overweight charges. I've given up trying to do the "dance".

Korean air, 2 50# bags free

As others have said, but something that is worth restating, maintain the best possible status with one airline. The extra bag/ overweight issue was easier to manage as little as two years ago, but with status on one airlines within the same "network" (for example Star Alliance), things do tend to work out with a little care and the right attitude.

I have found that especially with curbside check-in personnel, a friendly hello and a tip works wonders.

I'm faced with this issue and am researching air fares to the Philippines including baggage costs. When I flew to the Bahamas recently, I had 26# in my carry on (which included my housing, camcorder, video lights and dive computers) and a 39# dive bag (for warmer water diving... just a 3/2 full suit, hooded vest, lightweight fins and other gear) that cost me $20. Finding it pretty tedious to check all the airlines in my price range for their baggage fees.

I fly United and Lufthansa a lot...both personal and professionally. Years ago I signed up for their frequent flyer's program and later got a credit card from both. By doing so my flight miles do not expire and I get extra 50# baggage for free in most cases, usually if I purchase the ticket with the airlines's credit card. The only thing with the airlines CCs are that their intrest rates are high...so it is best to pay them off ASAP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom