Is there a decent underwater setup for uner $300?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dhampton82

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I would like to buy an underwater camera but I do not want to spend $$$$$ on it. It will not be for taking "the perfect picture" or anything like that, I just want to be able to take some pictures to remember dives I have done.

I already have a FujiFilm A345 but apparently no one makes a housing for it so I am thinking im gonna have to buy a new camera and housing. I definatly HAVE to have digital as I am quick to just snap a picture of ANYTHING and do not want to pay major bucks for film and developing.

Any info is greatly appreciated!!

Dustin

I bought the Olympus SP-350 there is a huge long thread about it in the Oly Outlet section. The camera is under $300, the housing is about $189, maybe slightly less if you really look. You could probably get out for under $500 even with buying some memory cards.

Another camera to look at is the Canon A620 I seriously considered that prior to buying the SP-350. It is in the same price range both camera and housing.

I think I can take mine down to about 130' but that is not an issue since I have no plans of ever going that deep.

good luck

look for a 4mp Canon or Nikon or Oly on www.bhphoto.com or www.adorama.com and the housing for it.. will most likely come in around $400 with 512mb card.....

just do a search

dhampton82:
I would like to buy an underwater camera but I do not want to spend $$$$$ on it. It will not be for taking "the perfect picture" or anything like that, I just want to be able to take some pictures to remember dives I have done.

I already have a FujiFilm A345 but apparently no one makes a housing for it so I am thinking im gonna have to buy a new camera and housing. I definatly HAVE to have digital as I am quick to just snap a picture of ANYTHING and do not want to pay major bucks for film and developing.

Any info is greatly appreciated!!

Dustin

Bottom line is you have to spend some money to get good, even decent photos. $300 to $500 for a camera and around $200 for a housing. Look for a refurbished camera as they are fine and come with a limited warranty. Be sure a housing is available before you buy the camera.

Olympus and Canon seem to be in the consumer forefront with point and shoot digitals that have corresponding housings.

I would suggest something as Mike V. did...
It is a little over the 300 ceiling, but you will have a chance to upgrade it in the future (strobes, lens adapters...)

I bought a cool pics 5600 at Walmart with 1 gig of memory for around $200 and an a Fantasea underwater housing for $169 online from Leasure Pro and it works fine.

Hey stang, I bought that camera cover offa ebay, It looks like it will be good enough for now. Until it gets me addicted to a new hobby (underwater photography) anyways :shakehead . Once I get it and get a chance to try it out, I will let everyone know if it was worth the $45 or not.

Anyways, thanks alot for the info, it might if saved me $300 on buying a new camera. Atleast for now anyways!!

Dustin

dhampton82:
Hey stang, I bought that camera cover offa ebay, It looks like it will be good enough for now. Until it gets me addicted to a new hobby (underwater photography) anyways :shakehead . Once I get it and get a chance to try it out, I will let everyone know if it was worth the $45 or not.

Anyways, thanks alot for the info, it might if saved me $300 on buying a new camera. Atleast for now anyways!!

Dustin

Your welcome....send me a good reef shot with it as payback...:D

Back
Top Bottom