Is the video from DSLRs worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello-

I have finally decided that I have outgrown my Nikon P5100 point and shoot and was looking to get a more serious DSLR. I also want to get into shooting HD video and was wondering about the resolution/picture quality of video that comes out of DSLRs. How does this video compare to the resolution of some of the entry level HD camcorders? Anyone has experience with this?

just check to see if they will autofocus.

for example the Nikon D90 does HD Video, but doesn't autofocus. but the Nikon D300s does. (of course it costs lots more $$$).

so trying to focus a D90 in a housing underwater and checking focus manually through the view finder would kinda suck with a mask on.

I think the reasoning is that the autofocus sensor on the D90 is not usable while the flip up mirror is retracted. (but I'm not sure about that as I've never really checked or anything but that's what someone told me a while back).

i shoot stills and hd video with the canon 5d mark 2. it. is. awesome. yes, it is a bit pricey, but it's cheaper that a still camera and a video camera and the associated housings. plus the full frame sensor is larger than any consumer price range hd video cameras. AND, you can use a wide variety of lenses to shoot video with. my advice is to run, don't walk, to the nearest camera store and get the canon 5D mk 2...

I just got upgraded from the Canon 10D to the Canon 7D, the video seems terrific... it is HD video, and with good lenses, you can really get pro level results (as Peter_C noted in his link above).

Here is one of my early efforts.. I think that the pixillation that you see initially has something to do with SmugMug - it looks great on my monitor.

Not to mention, you will get much better still images with a DSLR than with a HD camcorder. Nice to have the best of both worlds...

Mike

If you want to go that route, you may want to consider some of the 4/3rds cameras out there (E-PL1 for example does HD (720) with autofocus).

Or spend much less and get the Canon T2i. It supports 1080P/30 video and can autofocus while shooting video. For $1000 less than 7D and $1700 less than 5D ii. :) The T2i is what finally coerced me into making the leap to UW SLR (from a G10).

I think at this point of time the Canon 1080HD video is so much better than what is coming from Nikon DSLR's. Especially with the Canon 5DmkII and now the Canon 7D and 550D/T2i.

I have played around with the video from my D90 but I have been outclassed by my friends 7D and that was on her first dive with it using video.

Here is a nice little video and it was done on the Canon 5d mkII: YouTube - Guillaume Nery base jumping at Dean's Blue Hole, filmed on breath hold by Julie Gautier

By the way Canon and hopefully Nikon with there new releases coming out soon you have both a decent still camera and something that actually gets great video all in one package.

Regards Mark

Or spend much less and get the Canon T2i. It supports 1080P/30 video and can autofocus while shooting video. For $1000 less than 7D and $1700 less than 5D ii. :) The T2i is what finally coerced me into making the leap to UW SLR (from a G10).
Both the 7D and the T2i can autofocus (sort of) during shooting but not very elegantly and not very quickly. That is why you mostly see wide angle video using the cameras, something with enormous DOF.

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom