Is the silicone part of the Look 2 mask replaceable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yle

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm aiming this question at any AL rep. I use the Look 2 mask because I'm nearsighted and the prescription lenses available for the Look 2 is the best system I've found to deal with it. I have four Look 2 masks (why so many? don't ask... but I like them.)

Three of them have clear (or at least they used to be clear) surrounds, and they have yellowed a bit with age. When my students ask about prescription masks, I like to promote the Look 2... I can take it apart in front of them, show them how simple it is to replace the lenses, and how they can keep the regular lenses and return the mask to its original state at any time.

BUT... the yellowing of the silicone is a bit of a problem. Is there any way to replace just the clear silicone surround part? I mean, could I possibly get half a dozen or so of them so I can just replace them when they yellow? If they are not replaceable (i.e. not available as a separate part) then promoting the Look 2 becomes much more difficult.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

The yellowing is only a problem if the silicone is falling apart or not making a seal with your face otherwise it is just an aesthetic issue.

-z

To my knowledge the silicone skirt cannot be separated from the frame of the mask and replaced. The yellowing is caused by the clear silicone reacting to light. If you want to keep the silicone from turning yellow keep it in the dark and never use it.

I do have one question - why are you promoting one mask? Features of a mask are nice, but fit is much much more important. If a mask doesn't fit properly then the features are completely useless.

To my knowledge the silicone skirt cannot be separated from the frame of the mask and replaced. The yellowing is caused by the clear silicone reacting to light. If you want to keep the silicone from turning yellow keep it in the dark and never use it.

The silicone skirt can be separated from the mask. I take my masks apart on a regular basis to clean them, and then I reassemble them. The skirt could be replaced if AL is willing to sell just a replacement skirt. But apparently they are not (I've already heard back from AL customer service; he gave some bs excuse about needing a special machine to reassemble the skirt in the mask frame. I do it all the time without a "machine".)

I do have one question - why are you promoting one mask? Features of a mask are nice, but fit is much much more important. If a mask doesn't fit properly then the features are completely useless.

Perhaps you misread my original post. I wrote that "When my students ask about prescription masks, I like to promote the Look 2..." What I meant by my post was that I show them the features of the mask as it pertains to the available prescription lenses. I share with them my personal experience.

You read too much into that sentence. I wrote "I like to promote the Look 2" and you read "I like to promote only the Look 2." Considering my post was addressed to an AL rep and it concerned a specific question about an AL mask, I didn't think a complete list of the masks I "promote" was necessary. But if you'd like to start that thread, maybe I'll join in.

The point of my post was to tell the AL rep (i.e. who the post was originally addressed to) that I like to promote their product, but that will become more difficult if AL considers the mask essentially disposable (i.e. the only way to get a new skirt is to buy a new mask.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom