Is the 45mm lens on a micro 4/3 worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unaware6905

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an OM-D EM-10 IV with the AOI Octo housing. Bought the Olympus 60mm lens and port and will shoot with them for first time in Cozumel in 2 weeks. I also have a +6 diopter and flip mount.

I have been watching Alex Mustard's web series on UW photography. He suggests that, besides the 60mm lens for macro with these cameras, the 45mm is also useful for a wider range of subjects, e.g. larger fish down to nudibranchs. What's your opinion? Obviously, I will try out the 60mm in Cozumel, but do you think the 45mm would also be worth having? If so, which port or extension would I need for my system? How is autofocus with that lens?

I meant an Olympus 45mm. But, your question made me look. Maybe there isn't a good OM 45mm macro lens, huh?

Maybe there isn't a good OM 45mm macro lens, huh?
No, not "macro." There is Panasonic 45mm macro lens. I believe that om has a 45mm lens but it isn't macro.

There is a very nice Oly 45 mm pro lens ($900) which is great topside but useless underwater, the max magnification is 0.1x and the minimum focus distance is 20 inches (50 cm). The Panasonic/Leica 45 is a great lens, really wonderful IQ and great bokeh BUT it does not focus fast. I use the 30,45, 60 and 90 macro lenses, each has a place).
Bill

30,45, 60 and 90 macro lenses, each has a place

Can you give examples where you use one and not the other please?

There is a very nice Oly 45 mm pro lens ($900) which is great topside but useless underwater, the max magnification is 0.1x and the minimum focus distance is 20 inches (50 cm).
Yep I have that lens lying around unused - M.Zuiko 45mm f1.8 (90mm*)… maybe shot less than 200 snaps with it before I discovered I prefer the IQ and framing with the M.Zuiko 25mm f1.8 lens more. Never tried taking it UW though…

Can you give examples where you use one and not the other please?
30–blackwater (but I’m a heretic and prefer 12-40)
45–no idea
60–didn’t use it last time, didn’t bring it this time
90–glorious glass

Back
Top Bottom