Is SI Tech the go to for exhaust valves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Basicly there are 2 different and incompatible exhaust valve manufacturers, SiTech and Apeks.
Each of them makes valves that work well in several variations.

I grew up with SiTech and love them.
I'm currently using SiTech exhaust valves designed for use in contaminated water - expensive but they stay really dry, instead of the pretty dry of normal exhaust valves and last many years longer.
Unfortunatly, many drysuit manufacturers don't know they exist, so I deliver a contaminated water valve to whoever is building my next suit and tell them use this valve:

https://www.amazon.com/Contaminated...alve&qid=1554351873&s=gateway&sr=8-7-fkmrnull

Michael

I have Apeks valves on my Fusion and a Si tech pee-valve. They all work great. Why no use DUI valves?

I have Apeks valves on my Fusion and a Si tech pee-valve. They all work great. Why no use DUI valves?
Well, I was going to. However while searching I found several recommendations for SI Tech and them being the best. As Michael-Fisch said they apparently stay really dry. My DUI was definitely leaking a bit.

But there isn’t much info out there either way say I thought I would ask before I pulled the trigger.

If DUI is still using Apeks exhaust valves, remember, Apeks also makes contaminated water exhaust velves, and they are also classes of magnitude dryer than the cheaper standard exhaust valves everybody puts on drysuits in order to save a hundred bucks. Get the valve you want, and then send it to the manufacturer of your drysuit to have it installed on your MTM Drysuit.

MTM, is really a good idea with drysuits, unless your body fits perfectly in a stock suit and believe me stock suits fit nobody perfectly. Spend the couple of hundred bucks extra and have yours made to fit you perfectly.

I go 1 step further and order mine in the factory, have the unfinished suit checked on my body a couple of weeks later and after the suit is finished I mount the exhaust valve myself.
Manufacturers ask why and I tell them that if the valve is mounted by them a half inch too far foward, I'll never either forgive or forget them. If I screw up the mounting I might no longer be that upset with myself 10 years down the road.

I've also learned the hard way never to buy a drysuit from a manufacturer that is not within driving distance. Over 20 years ago I got into a pissing contest with DUI, and since DUI was 8000 miles and 9 time zones away, guess who won.

Michael

One of my SiTech inflator valves had started to feel rough after 9 years of use so I disassembled the SiTech inflator valves on my drysuits today, and cleaned everything in an ultrasonic bath, then relubed the O-Rings with silicon grease and put everything back together. The O-Rings looked good enough that I didn't feel that replacing them was necessary, and after cleaning and relubing them they'll last at least another 9 years (which is a lot longer than the drysuits will survive). Inside the drysuits are starting to look like a quadlaminate suit (Nylon-Latex-Nylon-Aquasure) instead of what they were back when new, but they are still dry!

Michael

Si-Tech exhaust valves are great. Apeks exhaust valves are great too. Apeks low profile exhaust valve has slightly lower profile than any Sitech. The lower profile could be a reason to choose the Apeks valve.
Some people say Apeks low profile is leaky, but honestly I have not had any issues. Both Apeks low profile and Si-Tech Argo valves leak about equally if you have them set fully open and dump a lot of gas fast. Turn a couple of clicks tighter, dump normally and they are dry.

So additional question...will the SITech drop right in? I have the Apeks low profile now. Is the opening bigger?

So additional question...will the SITech drop right in? I have the Apeks low profile now. Is the opening bigger?
I had an Apeks low profile that leaked on every dive. People will tell you to turn it in a click or two, never had to worry about any of that on my old suit with Si-tech. I eventually changed to Si tech has been dry ever since and yes it drops right in.

Back
Top Bottom