Is Shearwater Perdix AI too much computer for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

I'm totally overwhelmed by the choice in dive computers. I am replacing an Aeris Atmos AI to go to a wrist mount.

I definitely want -
- Wrist mounted
- Air integrated
- Nitrox
- Easy user changeable battery
- Easy to read and understand on a dive - (even if I accidently go into deco, will I be able to understand the stops it is telling me to make?)
- Safety stop count down

I was looking at the Oceanic Atom 3.1 and then the Aqualung i450t. Reading here it seems like Shearwater is the preferred choice, but I am a strictly recreational diver with no tech desires and I dive on 3 trips a year - 2 warm and one Channel Islands (CA) live-aboard.

Thanks!

I am not sure there is such a thing as "too much computer", unless the computer is only to be used exclusively for tech diving (and can't be used recreationally). I think the only question might be about the cost. If your other choices are about the same price, I would go with the Shearwater. I was happy with my purchase of the same computer. If I choose to get technical, then I can grow with it.

Hi All,

I'm totally overwhelmed by the choice in dive computers. I am replacing an Aeris Atmos AI to go to a wrist mount.

I definitely want -
- Wrist mounted
- Air integrated
- Nitrox
- Easy user changeable battery
- Easy to read and understand on a dive - (even if I accidently go into deco, will I be able to understand the stops it is telling me to make?)
- Safety stop count down

I was looking at the Oceanic Atom 3.1 and then the Aqualung i450t. Reading here it seems like Shearwater is the preferred choice, but I am a strictly recreational diver with no tech desires and I dive on 3 trips a year - 2 warm and one Channel Islands (CA) live-aboard.

Thanks!
The Perdix AI checks the boxes for all of the items you listed as wants. To me it is the best DC on the market - intuitive, easy to use interface and fantastic, easy to read and customizable info display! If you can afford it, you won't regret the purchase!

My wife talked me into buying the Perdix AI when we had less than a dozen dives. It is the best money we spent on diving to date. No regrets whatsoever and my friend who will take OW next month will start out with one for him and one for he girlfriend. They are expensive but you will never regret it after the bill is paid.

I own one, I love it primarily because I can actually see it. The battery is user replaceable, it's BT and customer service is up there with the best. FWIW I only OW rec dive. I've owned more than a few computers in my life and this is the best to date. I've owned 3 Shearwaters and never had an issue with any of them. Did I mention I can see it?...

Of course you can take this computer on the toughest technical dives you could image...if you wanted to. But for basic recreational diving, it is still second to none. In recreational mode the screen is clean and much easier to read than the puck computers available. Another vote from me.

I won't pay anything more than $200.00 for a dive computer nowadays.
Two cheapies + spg are good enough for my rec or tec dive(gauge mode).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom