Is Scubapro worth the extra money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nevis Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been diving with a6.5 Akona FJ and it has served me well to depths of 100' and temps down to 45. I am going to buy a 3mm for shallower dives and winter excursions to the Caribbean. My LDS is overwhemingly Scubapro and I would like to buy from him but not if the suit is 2-3 times the price of another brand that is just as good.

Nevis Diver:
I have been diving with a6.5 Akona FJ and it has served me well to depths of 100' and temps down to 45. I am going to buy a 3mm for shallower dives and winter excursions to the Caribbean. My LDS is overwhemingly Scubapro and I would like to buy from him but not if the suit is 2-3 times the price of another brand that is just as good.

No SP experience here but they're nothing that's getting a lot of press here.

Bang for the buck seems to be Bare. I have 4 items and like them.

Best of the best seems to be along the lines of Pinacle, Harveys and Mares Semi dry. Pretty much out of your 3mm league.

I can't see paying a big premium on a 3mm suit. That ScubaPro cache really irritates me.

Pete

Yes, there are other manufacturers the are just as good or better. Your stepping into the realm of personal opinion.
Another factor is how they fit you. I have a Cressi 3mm, have not had a problem with it and fits like a glove.
The fit I think (JMO) is the imortant thing. Yes, you get what you pay for,on the other hand, the best is not always the best.

Get my drift??

Joe

Check out Hendersons 3mm

Nevis Diver:

I really like my everflex suits. They are nice and comparative in price to other high end wetsuit manufacturers. Henderson, pinnacle, xcel, akona, all are well made suits. I wouldn't get caught up on brands too much with suits, and just worry about fit, comfort, and build quality.

Matt

Nevis Diver:

Fit is the number one criteria for a wetsuit. I guess if the scubapro suit fits 2-3 times beter then go for it but I doubt it fits better then one that sells for a more normal price. 3mm suits sell locally for $125 to $100.

ChrisA:
Fit is the number one criteria for a wetsuit. I guess if the scubapro suit fits 2-3 times beter then go for it but I doubt it fits better then one that sells for a more normal price. 3mm suits sell locally for $125 to $100.

I tried the SP 3 mil suit and it fit really nicely, easy on and off, LDS gave me a good price, I'm happy, he's happy, almost like a perfect world. Thanks for all of the input. Can't wait to get wet again.

My all wet suit come from Henderson. If I do it again, I would get Triple_L custom suit (cheap and good) and save some money to get a decent dry suit.

ScubaPro makes good piston regulators, some of the best out there. in the late 70's through early 80's they had some inovative stuff, such as the first deco "computer" (it wasn't a computer though) available to the public. a two piston regulator designed for boat diving (that was linked to several deaths) Scuba Pro knew this and had NO trouble charging the consumer for this, But that was then...

as far as wetsuits go they don't even mfg. there own product, stay away and buy something cheaper that will be just as good

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom