Is Saba for novice divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alashas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello! I've searched every thread I could find under "Saba," and am confused. Some posts claim they did ther OW dives at Saba, yet others claim it is not for novice divers, since it has a number of deep dives to 100 feet or more.

We are 4 novice divers with 4 to 12 dives in the US and BV Islands over the last 2 summers, and are considering a 12 - 14 day trip next May to St Martin - Saba - St Barth. Nearly every post, or reply to a St M post says, "ya gotta dive Saba." We don't just plan to dive, but also get some r & r - I know, no beach on Saba. So, we'd like to dive Saba to 60 - 80' max.

Does one of the dive shops cater more to novice divers, or do they all prefer to go to the deeper dives for the 1st dive? Or, could the 4 of us charter our own dive boat to some of the shallower Saba sites?

And then there is the important non-dive question. Several light sleepers in our group like the cool air and sound of AC at night (I know, we are middle aged wimps, but trust me, we spent virtually every summer camping out while growing up - the house was not big enough for all of us :11: ), but I haven't been able to locate any place on Saba that sounds as though it has AC. What's been your experience with Saba temps and AC, or lack thereof?

Thanks, this is a great board!

IMHO, Saba is not for new divers. About fully half of the dive sites do not even start until 60ft, with the tops of some of the pinnacles at about 100ft.

Great diving. Not for beginners.

Saba is a wonderful place. There are some sights that novice divers could feel comfortable with, but most of the demand is for the pinnacles below 60 ft as Drew mentioned. I think it would be possible for you to charter a boat for just your divers, but it certainly wouldn't be cheap.

I did'nt stay on the island, so I can's speak to AC in the hotels. I would just give them a call and ask if they have it.

If you find your way there, you will find an island that is unlike anything you have seen before-in the good sense. The terrain is nothing less than remarkable, and the people are really wonderful.

I hope you can find some shallow diving so you can experience the area.

Call Seasaba and speak with them about your concerns. Their website has a list of their divesites and depths. There are some that are above 60ft (I counted 16 sites out of the 29 that they list). I love the place, but I'm biased since I'm related to a lot of the folks on the island.

Oh to answer the Ac question. we stayed at Juliana's when we went and there was not AC but we had an ocean front corner room and the sea breeze blows right through the room. didn't need it. Temperatures depend a lot on where you stay on the island. I would suggest staying in one of the hotels on Windwardside. There's always a breeze. If you end up staying in the area called "The Bottom" it's a lot hotter and there isn't a lot of wind. The trade off is that you are much closer to the pier and the diveops.

Beginners can dive Saba no problem. Usually the pinnacles is the first dive of the day because of the depth. If you don't feel comfortable with the depth, sleep in late and catch any of the late morning and afternoon dives.

Saba is a wonderful place and has plenty of diving for everyone.

I made three dives in Saba earlier this month and after the first dive on the Pinnacles the two remaining dives were to somewhat shallower sites (Tent Reef - 88' & Hot Springs 56') I dove with Saba Deep and you could skip the first deep dive at Third encounter (122') and just make the remaining dives. The boat returned to the harbor between each dive. You could also work with one of the Mikes to possibly go to a shallower site for your first dive.

I would not recommend Saba for new divers. It's a great place to dive but it is deep diving. Current can be strong at times especially at Diamond Rock. You do not AC on Saba or bug spray. One of the best places that I have had an opportunity to dive. Later Dan...............See you on the bottom

I second the recommendation for Saba Deep. I've been to Saba 3X and they are the best, especially if you have concerns. They are a small operation and can cater to your needs. No need for AC if you stay up in Windwardside. I'd recommend the Cottage Club or Julianna's. Saba Deep will pick you up no matter where you stay. They also take care of all your gear which would be nice for new divers (and old divers too). The two Mikes and Sally will take good care of you.

Sandra

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom