Is Richelieu Rock worth it with 60ft/18m depth limit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coglass

New
Reaction score
We have a 60ft/18m max due to my son being junior open water, and have been told by the dive shop that the more interesting critters are deeper than that. But I've also read that Richelieu Rock is one of the best sites in Thailand, and in my experience (450 dives Caribbean and Pacific) there is very little that can't be seen at our depth limit. My son is 13, has 33 dives, and is very big/strong for his age.

We will have two days of diving from Khao Lak in December on a privately chartered dive boat, so they will take us wherever we want. Planning to do the Similans the first day, and wondering if we should do Richelieu Rock the second, or maybe Koh Bon or Koh Tachai? Or just let them decide based on conditions?

Any advice is much appreciated!

Richelieu Rock is a spectacular dive, and there's lots to enjoy at 60' or less.

There can be high currents there, upwellings and downwellings, so factor that into your decision. If there's any doubt about your son's buoyancy skills or ability to handle a current, perhaps stick with the Similans (which are also amazing).

Koh Tachai pinnacle can also have very high currents. The pinnacle doesn't even start until about 40' and drops down to 100+. The island itself (rather than the pinnacle) may have better opportunities for beginning divers; ask your charter.

Yes, lots to see at that depth and lots of bottom time. In fact, we had a giant manta at 40'.

Richelieu Rock is really nice also at shallow depth. Tachai should be your last alternative, that really would be a deep dive.

If you let them decide based on conditions they may be tempted not to go to Richelieu because of the distance.

g2:
Richelieu Rock is a spectacular dive, and there's lots to enjoy at 60' or less.

There can be high currents there, upwellings and downwellings, so factor that into your decision. If there's any doubt about your son's buoyancy skills or ability to handle a current, perhaps stick with the Similans (which are also amazing).

Koh Tachai pinnacle can also have very high currents. The pinnacle doesn't even start until about 40' and drops down to 100+. The island itself (rather than the pinnacle) may have better opportunities for beginning divers; ask your charter.
Tachai island is officially not possible to dive this season, plus the site there is really no comparison at all to Richelieu Rock. With 33 dives the kid should be perfectly ok at Richelieu Rock.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom