Is rental car needed if staying at Casa Mexicana?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Janie88

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If staying in town at Casa Mexicana, do you really need a rental car? We will probably be diving with either Aldora, Tres Pelicanos or Blue XT Sea.

I think majority of the restaurants, shops etc. are within walking distance. Plan on doing two tank morning dives.

Thanks!
Janie

Thanks! Are taxis expensive from/to airport?
Taxis cannot pick up fares on the airport grounds; instead there are shuttle vans that load up at the airport exit and deliver to all the hotels on the island. There are folks who dislike the shuttle system and will walk with their luggage the 200 yards out to the street to catch a cab. It is a little cheaper, or so I have heard, and the time saved is a subject of debate. Personally, I have no problem with the shuttles, but YMMV and DSFDF. My advice to a first time visitor is to take the shuttle,

The shuttle system has a ticket window off to your right when you exit Customs; go straight to it and ignore all the "helpful" people who approach you and ask you where you are staying. They are trying to hook you into timeshare pitches. There is a sticky post at the top of this forum that will explain the situation in more detail.

If staying in town at Casa Mexicana, do you really need a rental car? We will probably be diving with either Aldora, Tres Pelicanos or Blue XT Sea.

I think majority of the restaurants, shops etc. are within walking distance. Plan on doing two tank morning dives.

Thanks!
Janie

Everything is within walking distance and there’s even a 24 hour 7-Eleven right below hotel.

I've stayed all over the island and never rented a car (other than one afternoon to drive to the eastern side for a beach day). Taxis are cheap, especially if you use pesos.

I've stayed all over the island and never rented a car (other than one afternoon to drive to the eastern side for a beach day). Taxis are cheap, especially if you use pesos.
Plus negotiate prices before boarding and know about what the fare should be. Some drivers like to gouge tourists.

Agreed, no car and no scooter! But do consider a one day car rental to tour the island if it is your first trip there.

If you decide on 3P’s and Casa Mexicana contact Jeanie at 3 P’s and tell her your room choice (ocean/town) and dates. She can generally negotiate better rates with a guaranteed room number than any individual.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom