Is Puget Sound considered "Cold Water Diving"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PuyallupCoug

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
..at least from a regulator perspective?

I keep reading about regs suitable for warm water/cold water etc and I want to know if Puget Sound is cold enough to require a "Cold Water Reg"

Below what temperatures would make a dive site "cold water"?

The reason I ask is I'm considering purchasing an Aeris Atmos Pro reg. It's an environmentally sealed reg and have heard it's ok for cold water dives. If it's a completely suitable reg for Puget Sound then I'm all over it. Anyone know? :D

As far as my profile, I'm an occasional diver, 95% of my dives would be in Puget Sound and I won't be going deeper than 60 feet until I get my AOW. Thanks in advance!

..at least from a regulator perspective?
Yes
The reason I ask is I'm considering purchasing an Aeris Atmos Pro reg. It's an environmentally sealed reg and have heard it's ok for cold water dives. If it's a completely suitable reg for Puget Sound then I'm all over it. Anyone know? :D
Yes. (Its a suitable reg)

My belief (based only on my own experience) is that diving here in Puget Sound IS "cold water diving." Last winter temps got down towards the 45degree range.

It seems to me that the dangers from the "cold water" really start to increase as you put more stress on your reg -- that is, being deeper and breathing harder; inflating your BCD/suit while breathing; doing air sharing drills.

At least that's my understanding.

I certainly HOPE Puget Sound is considered cold water diving, because the water's plenty cold to me!

However, I have three regulators, and none of them is known as a good cold water reg, and none has given me any trouble. I'm not familiar with the one you mention, but if it's an environmentally sealed diaphragm reg, it should be a good cold water reg.

I guess I'm the odd man out (which is a situation that is not unfamiliar, I assure you...)

Nothing against the regulator, it will work fine for you.

And Puget Sound is certainly cold water year round, at least below the thermocline(s).

My only dissent is that (IMHO) when people speak about 'regulators freezing up', and various technologies to reduce the likelihood of regulators freezing up, they are often referring to scenarios including ice diving, where either a combination of air temperature and water temperature can cause 1st stages to freeze, or where very low water temps combined with high gas flow may cause 1st stage interior parts to freeze (hence cavities filled with oil or polymer-based solutions with environmental caps, or other technologies designed to prevent rapid cooling of metal parts under different circumstances). Water under ice is generally in the 30's (F), and when regs freeze under high flow, (again, per my reading) perhaps up to the low 40's (F).

While it may get down into the low 40s in the winter in Puget Sound, its often warmer than low 40s. Like TSandM and Peter, I have 3 or 4 SP regs that I use in Puget Sound, none of them are 'cold-water regs', and none of them have frozen in Puget Sound. (And I dive in the winter there.)

[Watch....on my next dive, one of my regs will freeze! :D ]

Just MHO. YMMV!

Doc

I only have trouble with regs when the water temperature gets below 40*, and I'm diving fresh water, which I believe ices up a little more easily than saltwater.

So, Yes, PS is cold water Diving, and Yes, that reg would suit you well, but No, I don't think your regs will give you problems if they aren't environmentally sealed.

Tom

Thanks everyone and I decided to finalize my purchase after reading your responses. I ponied up and got a Zeagle Brigade BC w/lumbar pad and rear trim pockets, Aeris Atmos Pro Reg, Aeris AI Computer w/quick disconnect, Bare Trek Boots, and a drysuit hose for a very very good deal. Thank you Scubatoys!

I certainly HOPE Puget Sound is considered cold water diving, because the water's plenty cold to me!
In February it becomes warm water diving for me. After a bunch of dives in water temps in the lower 30's, a 45 degree dive sounds downright balmy.

Even when I had my first cheap reg (and poor cold water skills to match) that free-flowed all the time in my local fresh water when it was below 40 degrees, I never even got close to a free-flow in the warmer saltwater Puget Sound.

In February it becomes warm water diving for me. After a bunch of dives in water temps in the lower 30's, a 45 degree dive sounds downright balmy.

It's all perspective, I suppose. A few years ago Snowbear came down for a visit in February. As we were getting out of the water at Redondo she said "I love this warm water diving ... no ice cream headache".

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom