Is Ocean Edge Outfitters Closed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

serpentara

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am a rEvo III Micro Expedition diver whose unit has now hit the 5 year mark. Since all of the local beaches, dive shops, etc. are closed, I thought it might be a good opportunity to support a small business and get my rEvo its 5 year service.

However, when I called Ocean Edge Outfitters a number of different, the line returned a busy/disconnected signal. I understand that the shop might be closed due to the Corona virus, but I would at least think they would have an outbound message saying that the closure was temporary or directing people how to get service or parts.

Does anyone know if they are open, closed for the duration of the virus, closed for good?

Did you email them?

They are not considered an essential business in NJ so they are (in theory) closed. List of essential NJ businesses posted here:
New Jersey reports 7 additional COVID-19 deaths; 2,844 total cases
Thanks! Just the lack of outgoing message for the last few days surprised me. Usually if a store is closed, even off hours, you get a VM. I shot them an email, I will see what happens.

Last time I asked for an estimate (a few years ago), I was told ~$700-800 is the cost. Let us know what the current rate is and what it covers. The least that can be said is that their website is mute about both rate and actual work performed.
Regarding servicing your lungs, do you really think a SARS-Cov-2 pandemic is the best time to do it?
:)

Last time I asked for an estimate (a few years ago), I was told ~$700-800 is the cost. Let us know what the current rate is and what it covers. The least that can be said is that their website is mute about both rate and actual work performed.
Regarding servicing your lungs, do you really think a SARS-Cov-2 pandemic is the best time to do it?
:)
Wow that is a lot of money! Did you end up getting yours serviced?

As for COVID, the latest data shows that it only lasts on surfaces for what, 2 weeks now? It looks like we are under a total lock down for at least a month. And I strongly suspect that once the worst is over it won't be a social gathering free for all. I imagine they will gradually increase group sizes. I have no idea when we will get to dive again... Or if there will be any boats/dive shops that survive the crisis.

Last time they updated their FB page was in 2014. The Google Maps picture of their location looks bleak. If I wasn't under house arrest, I'd drive over to look.

Wow that is a lot of money! Did you end up getting yours serviced?

$700-800? A lot??

I got a quote from OEO for the 10 year service on my rEvo. They said $2600-3200.

That does include replacing a LOT of parts, including the counterlungs. A quick look back at the of parts and it looks like just about everything except the metal case, the solenoid and orifice, and the rMS system parts.

The list does include "new scrubber housings and seals". I don't know what a scrubber housing is. A new lid/cover? New baskets? I don't know.

They said it's about $650 - 800, just in labor (10 - 12 hours @ $65.22/hr).

I have not signed up for that, yet...

It IS my understanding that where there are parts on the list that I have already replaced recently, they would not replace those again or charge me for them. So, I think the estimate given was sort of "worst case". Like, the unit is 10 years old and still has ALL the original parts.

10 years is "complete overhaul", 5 years is some kind of intermediate maintenance.
Now the rEvo police has no jurisdiction in the US of A, therefore it is a matter of good judgment whether or not you want to part with your hard earned money for some automatic replacement of perfectly good parts. And whether or not you are still drinking the Kool-Aid. Personally, I switched to good old coffee a while back.

Here is a copy of the email I received 3 years ago (verbatim):
A normal 5 years service (not a unit that has been flooded) runs $700-$850 plus sensors it they need it.

Price includes servicing the following:
Regulators
Gas Block
Manifold and hoses
ADV
OPV
DSV
BCD
New o-ring kit
Replace batteries, flapper valves, green tubing and gas feed through bulkhead.
Ensure all of the electronics and unit is in good working order.

If we notice any corrosion on your molex connectors and/or wires inside the cables and solenoid from the salt water, we have to replace the with new.

Note "servicing", not replacing. Still, that is a lot of money for fundamentally very little work and parts.
(The reference to a flooded unit is to another unit, not mine, even though OEO seemed to be dead certain I had flooded my unit).

PS: I just checked another email from OEO I received a while back. It reads "We will evaluate your dream upon receipt". :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom