Is my Zeagle Ranger okay for occasional cave and wreck diving??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TRUETEXAN

Contributor
Reaction score
I am currently in training to be a PADI divemaster and as soon as I finish that I was thinking about getting wreck certified an maybe cavern and cave certified, however these are not the places where I will be doing most of my diving, most will be done in freshwater lakes. My question is, will my Zeagle Ranger be adequate for some cave and wreck diving? If I find that I really enjoy that type of diving I would then purchase backplate and wings of course, however I would like to hear some pros and cons on doing this type diving with the Ranger BC. I also use a Zeagle Flthead VI reg with a Zeagle sentinel octo and Aeris 300G air/nitrox computer. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

I will leave specifics to the more experienced, but EE will let you use their equipent for a month, and return it no questions asked if you do not like it. All you are in for is shipping.

Tommy

Why not get a BP/wing for all your diving and sell the ranger on e-bay?

I know, I know... I prefer the BP/Wing, but the ranger is a pretty hearty BC and it should be fine to go cavern and light penatration wreck diving.

The ranger is pretty bulky, you have to be careful when trying to get through small openings... that's the meat of the matter right there, the BP/Wing is more steamlined, which means you the diver are smaller. better for the hydrodynamics of swimming and for getting into small holes.

pop a hole in your BC though, and you should have a way to deal with it, alternate lift (drysuit, lift bag, etc...) ditching the tanks and swimming it out doesn't work in overhead environments;-0

Take the courses and your questions will be answered. My guess is that you won't want to go beyond a cavern cert without a backplate/wings or a Transpac setup. But take the courses and make up your own mind.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom