is macro lens redundant w/5050 or similar camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlwalke

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm starting to put together an underwater camera setup. I've got an Olympus C5050 with the PT015 housing, some software and a printer...and am now starting to think about next purchases. Almost definately a wide angle lens. I was planning on getting a macro lens, but insofar as the camera has a macro and supermacro mode, I'm not sure that there is any reason to do this. Is the intrinsic macro feature comparable to what you would get with a add on lens.

Also, how neccesary is a flash? I've got Photoshop and it seems like you can lighten up the overall image, lighten up selected tones, add more color saturation etc. If you can see it well enough to take a picture, is it not possible just to adjust the lighting using the software?

Thanks,
Dave

probly everyone here will tell u that a strobe is the most important acessory you can get for your camera. Also with the 5050's macro capabilities I don't think a add on macro would benefit you much if at all.

Photoshop can't fix a bad photo. It can sometimes salvage a mediocre shot, but where it really shines is making a good photo reach its full potential.

There is no substitute for more light. Get some experience with your rig as it is, then get a strobe. Add on lenses are nice, but not nearly as important as a strobe.

I can only agree with what Jeff said. :D :wink:

Go for a strobe. It gives you much more flexiblity.

As for an add-on macro lens, I really think it's unnecessary for the Oly 4040Z or 5050Z. Their built-in macro is great.

Here's one from our recent Bonaire trip that isn't even as close as you can get with the 4040Z.

~SubMariner~

or a bright lamp, hid if posible, lamps seem to work better than strobes with digital

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom