Is Komodo worth a few days while in Bali?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bqualls

Contributor
Reaction score
Going to Bali for 2 and a half or 3 weeks and I'd like to hear opinions from those who've been to both--Should I get on a puddle jumper and go to Komodo for a few days? Or should I spend the whole time in Bali? I guess I'm really asking,"Is the diving that much better at sites reachable by labuanbajo day boats?"

Komodo has some of the best dive sites in Indonesia (if you dive them at the right time). Your best bet is a mulit-day liveaboard. Day boat is next best. I'd suggest a 7 day Komodo trip & the rest of your time in Bali. If you also like the small unusual critters, Bali has great stuff. For reef dives Komodo is superior.

Absolutely dive komodo. I have done the 9 day trip on the mermaid 1. They have a 7 day trip also on the mermaid 2. I have been on both boats. Excellent boats and crew. Komodo offers some of the best diving i have ever done. Komodo is so good i am going back again this year for the third trip. I still haven't even come close to photographing the komodo area there is so much to photograph. The reefs are covered with colorful life.

I agree with the others: Komodo is some of my favorite diving. I also recommend diving it by liveaboard. With a liveaboard you should also get to see the dragons, which I enjoyed. The macro of Bali is very nice. So, with the amount of time you have enjoy both and schedule a week for Komodo.

Yup ... I agree with the above. We did Bali, Komodo, Bunaken and Lembeh last year. Komodo was definitely worth doing ... and doing again if I ever get the opportunity.

You can read my trip report here if you like ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I guess I'm really asking,"Is the diving that much better at sites reachable by labuanbajo day boats?"

Komodo has better diving, even though you'll generally able to reach only the northern and central sites out of Labuanbajo on the day boats. I've done the day-boat thing out of Labuanbajo, and enjoyed it -- I believe that there are recent trip reports on that approach.

It's well worth the trip. Consider one of the liveaboards based from Bima or Labuan Bajo so that you don't waste time steaming to and from Bali.

Back
Top Bottom