Is it worth it? Big guy question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ouichef

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, I hope everyone is staying happy and HEALTHY! I'm looking for opinions and suggestions from other divers, not salesmen, if you get what I'm saying :) I'm 6'6" 250-260# I'm a new diver with about 20-25 dives and decided that this is something I love to do and that I will be sticking with it. So it's time to get my own BCD and gear. I've only dived with jacket style, thier nice BUT being so tall the belly stap ends up right under my man boobs, ok not that high but towards the top of my belly. So I'm constantly pulling it down. I'm thinking about a back infate like the Scubapro Hydros Pro w/ 5th Gen. Air2, it doesnt have air on the sides (which squeezes high, not low around belly) or a big belly strap. I think the back inflate might be a good call....? and is the Scubapro worth $1100+....? This is not the best writing I've done but I think you get the point :)

Hello, I hope everyone is staying happy and HEALTHY! I'm looking for opinions and suggestions from other divers, not salesmen, if you get what I'm saying :) I'm 6'6" 250-260# I'm a new diver with about 20-25 dives and decided that this is something I love to do and that I will be sticking with it. So it's time to get my own BCD and gear. I've only dived with jacket style, thier nice BUT being so tall the belly stap ends up right under my man boobs, ok not that high but towards the top of my belly. So I'm constantly pulling it down. I'm thinking about a back infate like the Scubapro Hydros Pro w/ 5th Gen. Air2, it doesnt have air on the sides (which squeezes high, not low around belly) or a big belly strap. I think the back inflate might be a good call....? and is the Scubapro worth $1100+....? This is not the best writing I've done but I think you get the point :)
Get a long/tall backplate, a proper wing, and be done with it. There’s someone here that (probably) will be selling one of the DSS rigs for <$500 and it will make you far happier than the bs $1100 rig. Air2 likely won’t last you long in your career if you’re passionate about it.

Disclaimer: former SP dealer affiliate, unaffiliated

I am the same general size 6'7" ~250ish# (don't own a scale). I had an Oceanic Islander back inflate that was long enough. It is obsolete now. I now have a Dive Rite transpac which is long enough but I had to adjust the heck out of the webbing to get the waist webbing low enough and still have it come over my shoulders well. I called Dive Rite US and although they listed a tall size, they don't, but the size I have works. The Oceanic was less money but the quality was also less but I dived the heck out of it until I couldn't. Whichever one you try, best to try it on first. I am sure at your height you are well aware of fit.

I'd vote for a tall/long backplate and wing. It'll grow with your scuba "career" (e.g when chaging to doubles you just buy a bigger wing and reuse the backplate and webbing.) the adjustability of a bp/w is great.
Ps. If going this route don't bother with comfort harness etc just buy the cheap basic one

I'd go for a tall BP & wing. I know Halcyon makes one. Not sure who else does. (can someone else comment who else makes longer backplates?) You can use an appropriate wing from anyone. For webbing, I'd just go to your local fabric store and make your own.

Get a long/tall backplate, a proper wing, and be done with it. There’s someone here that (probably) will be selling one of the DSS rigs for <$500 and it will make you far happier than the bs $1100 rig. Air2 likely won’t last you long in your career if you’re passionate about it.

Disclaimer: former SP dealer affiliate, unaffiliated
+1 except the SP dealer.
And, I have over 6000 dives on my original Air 2 and then switched out for an SS1

But I have 4000 dives on a poodle jacket (or a series of them), and the long tall backplate and wing are absolutely the right answer.

6'2", 325#

This setup is perfect for you.
For Sale - Deep Sea Supply (DSS) Large S.S.Plate, Easy Glide, Harness, LCD30 Wing

I posted on the thread, but I'll back out. I really just wanted to try the Easy Glides. Someone is asking for the wing separately and I'd let them have it since DSS is out of business so if the wing bladder fails you are kind of out of luck (this happened with my DSS wing). It doesn't matter for the rest because it's either unbreakable steel or standard harness webbing.

We can talk about the wing once you get the plate. But the whole setup should cost you less than half what you'd pay for the Scubapro.

Edit: Now it looks like the whole set is available. You might want to take a flyer on the wing after all. Mine lasted for 11 years. And swapping wings on these plates is trivial, it's literally just a matter of unthreading the cam bands.

Edit 2: A DSS Large was made for wider divers up to 6'3" and so probably isn't tall enough for the OP. They made Tall and Extra Talls for folks over 6'4". Keep reading the thread for more info.

can someone else comment who else makes longer backplates?)
Scubaforce makes long backplates. And even a heavy 6kg version, if you need it for drysuit diving.
I got the normal long version (2.9 kg).

Just get yourself the standart webbing(not the comfort one) and a weigth pouch, single tank adapter, a 32lb wing(for singles diving) and you are done.
High quality gear for about 500-600.
You can dive this setup forever. If you go doubles you just remove the single tank adapter and you are good to go.

Find a tall backplate, it makes a difference! There used to be a company here in the US called Deep Sea Supply (DSS) that made long and x-long plates. At 6'-7", they were a game changer for me. Sometimes they pop up, but not a lot (tall & x-tall versions).

Honestly, the best choice right now for a single tank plate with your size is to get on the list for Eric to make you one of his Freedom Plates in a tall version. Look in SB for the discussion...

That DSS plate listed above is not a tall, and is not a best fit for you.

That ScubaForce option is a possibility.

No matter what, you will have to pay more than the short folks, and that sucks. I know that you already realize this...

Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom