Is it worth buying a strobe for a Sealife 320

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rudebob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
At a local scuba show last weekend I won a Sealife 320 with the extra wide angle lense during a dive treaure hunt. I know that this is a very basic, entry level camera at best, but since I am somewhat of a new diver this might be a good way to see if underwater photography interests me enough to spend big money on more suitable equipment.

I also know that if I even want to take any kind of a decent pictures I will need a strobe-a digital being even better to offset my lack of experience with lighting and distance. However, a single digital strobe for this camera costs more than the camera and wide angle lense. I am not opposed to spending the money if it will improve the quality of the images enough, and if I were to later upgrade to a better camera that I could still use the same strobe.

So any opinions here. Being in my current circumstance can a strobe increase the quality of images from this camera to justifies its purchase? Also, would a strobe for this camera be of good enough quality that it could be used on better camera down the road?

Thanks,

'bob

Bob,

I have a SL320 Reefmaster Mini and an SL960D Digital Strobe. I owned the 320 for about 6 months before deciding to get the strobe. You can see a variety of my underwater images (good, bad, and really ugly) at Flickr: Joel Geldin's Photostream and decide for yourself.

My experience is that I get MUCH BETTER images with the strobe in low light situations and better images in shallow normal light situations.

Joel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom