Is it safe ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rafal1676

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi I have a question. recently I bought Worthington X8-130 tank With Thermo pro valve 200Bar 3442psi. Today i went to LDS to fill this tank with nitrox, and they did it . However gentlemen who was doing this procedure told me that he fill my tank to 4100 psi I was surprise because I knew that valve and tank operating pressure is 3400psi. I did ask him about that. He told me that he has same tanks and he puts up to 4800 psi in it. So my question is, is it safe to 4100 psi in my tank or should I drain some of air from them.Thank You Rafal.

If you have a yoke first stage on your regulator, it is possible that the o-ring in the valve may fail at that pressure. In the whole setup, that's probably the weakest item. If he filled it hot, you may not have 4100 psi in it now. If it was mine I'd check to see how much pressure is in it presently, and lower the pressure to around 3,600 (if you have the yoke setup).

Running that high a pressure with the little o-ring has given us a few failures, typically when we first hook things up. This can be a pain in the neck on boats. And, it's not real good for the tank to do that too often, either.

Take a look at a DIN regulator if you haven't already. We converted our family regs to that as it is more robust.

Thank you for response.I did check preasure after one hour, and on my SPG i have 4100 psi. I have yoke connection, and its true that i I had problem with leaking air on connection where is o-ring.

Sure wish I had that problem at my LDS. Quit gloating, would you?

Seriously, 4100 is a pretty bold fill; test pressure for that tank is around 5100. If you're going to dive soon, I would just enjoy the overfill. If it's going to be sitting around, I honestly don't know how much extra stress you're putting on the tank, it's gotta be some, but I doubt if anyone could tell you whether it would affect the longevity of the tank. I think repeated overfills might be more stressful than one that sat full for a while, but I'm guessing.

Seriously, 4100 is a pretty bold fill; test pressure for that tank is around 5100. ... I honestly don't know how much extra stress you're putting on the tank, it's gotta be some, but I doubt if anyone could tell you whether it would affect the longevity of the tank. I think repeated overfills might be more stressful than one that sat full for a while, but I'm guessing.

Yeah, there is extra stress but it is not in the range for elastic deformation. Which as I just posted that is what the hydro test looks for elastic deformation.

If the cylinder is well maintained I would not worry about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom