is it safe to use a strobe with tube broken?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
3 days ago one of my strobes sea and sea ys-d2 the yellow one, wasn't fire and keep only blinking even when I put new batteries, and today I found my 2nd strobe sea and sea ys-d2 black one with tube broken as in the photo.
it's still working but with less power, is it safe to use it?
and any recommendation for the first strobe that keep blinking?

thank you!
IMG_8392.JPG

Don't use them, send them both in for service. Unfortunately the YS-D2 strobes have a poor track record due to issues like this. S&S just released a YS-D3 model that hopefully improves reliability.

HUH? I don't understand how a strobe with a broken tube could still be working in any way. What part is working?
Billl

The tube itself is glass so it won't burn, but the reflectors melts and burns when it overheats. It only a matter of time before it fails completely. I agree send them both in - you probably need to find a service centre that will accept them, or see if the retailer you got them through will assist with repairs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom