Is it possible for coral to stay in your skin for more than a year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fairybasslet

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I really forget when this first happened but in may have been in Curacao in Feb 2008. I accidentally touched some kind of coral and every time I've been diving after that I get the rash back where the original contact occurred. It used to get all red and bumpy too. This time, it just got bumpy and itchy and not red, so maybe it's getting better? It is the most bizarre thing.

Hi Ellen,

Questions:

1. The rash only recurs when you go diving, never in between dive trips?

2. The rash is always in the same location? Where?

3. No chance you are re-injuring the area?

Regards,

DocVikingo

Hi Ellen,

Questions:

1. The rash only recurs when you go diving, never in between dive trips?
Yes

2. The rash is always in the same location? Where?
Yes, left index finger, where the finger meets the palm on the outside edge

3. No chance you are re-injuring the area?
I've thought of that but I had gloves on the entire time this last trip. Also at Cocos in July. Different gloves so I know it's not in the gloves. During this last trip, it didn't start until the 5th day and I'm pretty positive I didn't touch anything even with the glove on.

Regards,

DocVikingo
Bizarre, isn't it, Doc? I'm doing some fresh water this weekend so I'll see if it happens in fresh water.

Hey Ellen,

Good thinking on switching out the gloves--coral grit/nematocytes can hang around/remain potentially active for quite a while. Be interesting to see about the fresh water, too.

In any event, it is not uncommon for such envenomations to be slow to resolve, and to largely resolve and then return as the result of a cyclical hypersensitivity reaction. This is not cause for excessive alarm, but is unpleasant.

Please keep the board posted.

Regards,

Doc

Thanks Doc. As I mentioned, it does seem to be less severe than when it started a year ago. I suppose I should dive more to speed up the healing process? :wink:As an FYI, it doesn't happen in chlorinated water where I swim.

Curacao planted a tiny piece of the island under your skin..It won't go away until you go back.
Sorry can't help myself PCD I think

That sounds good to me. I wonder if Bonaire will count. I'm going there in December.:rofl3:

UPDATE: Went diving in fresh water, no reaction. But the patch of skin is now rough and peeling.

Hi Ellen,

Perhaps the peeling will shed the affected dermal area.

If the roughness and peeling continue, however, it's off to the dermatologist.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Back
Top Bottom