Is it necessary to do the SSI advanced adventurer course?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IslandDan2020

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone :)

I did some research and found that the SSI advanced adventurer course is equivalent to the PADI AOW.

.... and also found that to be recognised as an SSI AOW diver one needs to have 24 logged dives and take 4 (if I'm not mistaken) specialities.
Which bring me to the question " Can't I just skip the advanced adventurer as I'll be classified as an AOW diver given I take the 4 specialities and have 24 logged dives" or will I be missing out on diving related skills if i do so.

I would love to hear your suggestions ..
Thanks and stay safe ! :)

So to clarify, your intention is to get AOW soon? If not, you may find that the Advanced Adventurer allows you to get on some boats going to deeper sites than you would be permitted to do with OW only.

you do not need to take the adventurer course.
my advice is to give some thought as to the path you want your training to take you and choose the appropriate courses that will put you on that path.
so for example.....if you want to be a tech diver and dive deep, then nitrox and deep diver would be two choices. if you wanna be a cave diver then a cavern course would be required. maybe you want to be an instructor. check what the required courses are and choose some of those. the science of diving would be one as an example.

You can absolutely skip Advanced Adventurer. You’d probably be better served with the 4 full carts anyway. I skipped it and took EAN, Night/Limited Viz, Navigation, and Deep. You can also take them at your own pace. I took EAN first, then waited about 13 years for the other 3.

" Can't I just skip the advanced adventurer as I'll be classified as an AOW diver given I take the 4 specialities and have 24 logged dives" or will I be missing out on diving related skills if i do so.

I would love to hear your suggestions ..
Thanks and stay safe ! :)

Yes you can skip the advanced adventurer. AA is basically a sampler platter of different specialties. The dives during AA count towards those specialties, but you still need to complete the 4 specialties to complete the SSI Advanced Open Water Diver.

So to clarify, your intention is to get AOW soon? If not, you may find that the Advanced Adventurer allows you to get on some boats going to deeper sites than you would be permitted to do with OW only.
In 5/6 months I am aiming to be advanced because I would like to visit some wrecks which are beyond 18 meters.

you do not need to take the adventurer course.
my advice is to give some thought as to the path you want your training to take you and choose the appropriate courses that will put you on that path.
so for example.....if you want to be a tech diver and dive deep, then nitrox and deep diver would be two choices. if you wanna be a cave diver then a cavern course would be required. maybe you want to be an instructor. check what the required courses are and choose some of those. the science of diving would be one as an example.
Ah I see, yes makes sense and I agree. Thanks for your help :)

You can absolutely skip Advanced Adventurer. You’d probably be better served with the 4 full carts anyway. I skipped it and took EAN, Night/Limited Viz, Navigation, and Deep. You can also take them at your own pace. I took EAN first, then waited about 13 years for the other 3.
Thanks for your reply .. I also didn't know that you can leave that much between one another so that's something new for me.

Yes you can skip the advanced adventurer. AA is basically a sampler platter of different specialties. The dives during AA count towards those specialties, but you still need to complete the 4 specialties to complete the SSI Advanced Open Water Diver.
Thank you for you reply ! .. I was wondering if I skip AA do I still get the same knowledge/skills when later I am in the process of doing the others specialities to get my SSI AOWD or is there like a set of skills which are only tought in AA that I would have skipped .. sorry to ask I'm not sure how it works ☺️

Thank you for you reply ! .. I was wondering if I skip AA do I still get the same knowledge/skills when later I am in the process of doing the others specialities to get my SSI AOWD or is there like a set of skills which are only tought in AA that I would have skipped .. sorry to ask I'm not sure how it works ☺️

From SSI

This program allows you to experience five different open water dives from five SSI Specialty programs without requiring you to complete the entire Specialty. If you are unsure of your next step, this is the perfect way to advance your dive skills and experience, and to identify which Specialty programs interest you. You will earn the SSI Advanced Adventurer certification after completing this program.

Attention: The Advanced Adventurer certification is not counted towards the AOWD Recognition. To achieve one or more specialty certification(s) for the AOWD, you may decide to complete one or more of these specialties. Your dives from the Advanced Adventurer course will of course be counted.
There is nothing in AA that is not included in the specialty courses. It really is just a chance to see which training you would like to pursue. Or maybe just add some dives outside of the curriculum you have chosen to follow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom