Is It Feasible to Transfer from Malapascua to Sogod Bay in One Day?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Ironborn

Ironborn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Given the often challenging nature of domestic travel within the Philippines, would it be feasible to transfer from Malapascua to a dive resort in Sogod Bay (specifically, Padre Burgos)? I assume that I am not the first diver to want to combine these two destinations into one trip and would be interested in hearing if anyone has actually done it.

I figure that I would leave Malapascua early in the morning, on the first boat for the Cebu "mainland," for a car ride to Cebu City and get there in the early afternoon. I would then take a mid-late afternoon ferry from Cebu City to one of the multiple ferry ports in Southern Leyte (Maasin, Hilongos, Bato, or Ormoc). The resort could arrange a car transfer for me from one of those ports, and I would probably get there at night, depending on the distance of the port at which I arrive from Padre Burgos.

1. Get the first public boat in the morning.
2. Bus or taxi to Cebu depends on your budget.
3. Ferry from Cebu City to Leyte:

Ormoc is the furthest from Sogod Bay but the schedule is more frequent.
The bus terminal is right outside the pier. Choice of bus or van(V-hire, need to buy two seat if with pack or more if you need leg room!!!!).

Please consult with the operators in Sogod Bay for advice on ferry schedule other than Ocean Jet and Super Cat.

Maasin is the best if there is ferry running at suitable time.
Unfortunately Wessam only has one sailing in the morning.

You should be able to make it within 10hrs but please start your journey as early as possible in the morning.

Diving there will compensate the hassle of getting there.
Enjoy the dive.

Here is the ferry schedule document posted by the reception desk at Peter’s, and a good regional map.

Picture taken last evening. Hope this helps. If staying here, would confirm with the ever helpful Shelani.

226C0497-E769-4BE0-A10F-F4755F725114.jpeg

CC9945DC-9FB5-4379-9A31-25D27B99BDA5.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom