Is an SPG necessary with a wireless computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A34735

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm streamlining my kit, have just got a Vyper Air. I'm now thinking 'Can I lose the SGP hose?' I don't plan to dive much beyond 20m - How reliable are the transmitters?

My Suunto D9 transmitter is very reliable. In ~4 years and ~300 dives I have never noticed a lapse in transmission. But I don't think your kit is noticeably more streamlined after shedding a properly configured SPG hose. In my opinion, the best reason for using wireless pressure transmission is because you like the convenience of having your tank pressure on a wrist-mounted display.

Just ditch the SPG but have it readily available in your dive bag with the proper wrench to put it on. This way if you transmitter quits during the dive you just call the dive and can still do another with the SPG.

I'm streamlining my kit, have just got a Vyper Air. I'm now thinking 'Can I lose the SGP hose?' I don't plan to dive much beyond 20m - How reliable are the transmitters?

I too have a Vyper Air with transmitter. I most definitely use an SPG and because of it, I have been able to dive each and every time my transmitter failed to connect to the computer and the "FAIL" was showing. What I found out is:

. Transmitter batteries may fail before your computer does.
. The transmitter code can be reset by turning your air on too fast between dives.
. You cannot reset the code once the dive has begun.

This has happened to me and one of my frequent dive buddies who uses the same computer with transmitter. We both have problems on occasion and having an SPG has saved my trip on a dive boat more than once. An SPG is easily streamlined and more valuable than you think.

I've seen the transmitters fail. Even had a diver a few years back whose screen went blank as soon as he submerged and came back on when he surfaced. No data during the entire dive. Unfortunately, he didn't tell me until I turned us around to return to our ascent line. The entire time I was concerned about when his last breath on his tank would be. Fortunately, that didn't happen, but another couple minutes and it would have.

I am with the "keep the hose" crowd. As vladimir says, a properly configured hose doesn't negatively affect your streamlining. I've been using a wireless transmitter for about five years now, and from time to time it does fail. Transmitter battery, failure to make a proper connection due to the computer not being placed properly while the air is being turned on (usually when a DM turns the tank on on the boat - so you might want to ask them to leave your tank alone if you dive in places where that is the norm!) or loss of connection during the dive. The convenience of the display on the wrist can't be beat, but for me, the backup on the hose is important and no hassle.

kari

The transmitter is for convenience; the SPG is necessity.

I have four transmitters . . .

Thanks to all of you for the good advice: The consensus is 'Keep the SPG' (But I like the alternative of an SPG in a bag on the boat, with a wrench if needed). Anyway, spent a pleasant Sat evening reconnecting my SPG console, will clock up a few dives before next considering ditching it.

The SPG is not necessary although it is probably a good idea for a while at least. Then keep it as a backup. If you're an experienced diver, you will know where you are (if and when) the transmitter quits working. You should be able to safely call the dive and work out any issues when you're back on the topside. I have not used an SPG in close to 10 years and have never had to call a dive (although I do dive with 2 identical computers, but that's another story)

spent a pleasant Sat evening reconnecting my SPG console, will clock up a few dives before next considering ditching it.[/QUOTE]

This may be part of your conumdrum. If I had a wireless set up I would retain the spg in a "hog" cofiguration. Brass and glass spg, no console, cliped off the right side waist d-ring. The console would be a non-starter for me in this situation.
Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom