Is Air Free ?? It might be

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trever

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was reading with great interest the thread titled Why I have decided to stop shopping for ANYTHING at the LDS with great interest and will let you in on a little secret. The thread started to talk about LDS business models and the price of air and maintaining compressors. You maybe able to get free tank fills of air from the local fire department. Most people probably know a Fire Fighter, fire departments use compressed air in their air packs, you may have to provide them with an adapter for SCUBA tanks, but they will usually be more than happy to fill it for you. It works for me and honestly the smaller fire depts. are probally more willing to do it than bigger ones. Also most areas have a business that handles compressed gas, (welding supplies, CO2 for beverage dispensing and Oxygen for hospitals) They do Hydros and visuals on SCUBA tanks. In fact that's probably where your LDS is getting their hydros done and then marking it up. (I don't have a problem with that). They will also provide air fills for about the same price as a LDS. I am just giving a few alternatives to LDS air fills.

Trever:
You maybe able to get free tank fills of air from the local fire department.
Assuming you can find someone to do this for you'll be limited to air. The compressor at my fire house is certified to grade E which isn't clean enough to do partial pressure blending.

cornfed:
Assuming you can find someone to do this for you'll be limited to air. The compressor at my fire house is certified to grade E which isn't clean enough to do partial pressure blending.

Yep you are limited to air and it is usualy at someone elses convienence, not yours but if it works for you it works.

The compressed gas companies may or may not do a hydro on a dive tank. Reason being, it is life support. The other items that they hydro usually aren't that high of pressure and aren't life support, liability. I know a CO2 tank can blow and take your leg off.

crpntr133:
The compressed gas companies may or may not do a hydro on a dive tank. Reason being, it is life support. The other items that they hydro usually aren't that high of pressure and aren't life support, liability. I know a CO2 tank can blow and take your leg off.

That is probally correct, But they do fill Oxygen for hospitals and ambulances so isn't that life support also? My point is that there are other resources out there other than LDS's or buying your own compressor to get air fills. Also I beg to differ on the fact that SCUBA tanks are rated for higher pressures than CO2 or O2 tanks. I am a homebrewer and keg my own beer and use CO2, my CO2 tanks get hydro tested every 5 years and are rated for 3000 psi. I also think that welding gasses are contained in 3000 psi bottles.

crpntr133:

You can get your hydros done at Fire Extingisher suppliers. That's were I get mine done, It'll save you about %50 of the cost, but remember you Still have to get a VIP and fill done!
At my regular LDS that's $15 or so on top of the hydro fee so it doesn't make a diff, but some shops include the VIP/fill in the cost of the hydro.

Trever:
Also I beg to differ on the fact that SCUBA tanks are rated for higher pressures than CO2 or O2 tanks. I am a homebrewer and keg my own beer and use CO2, my CO2 tanks get hydro tested every 5 years and are rated for 3000 psi. I also think that welding gasses are contained in 3000 psi bottles.
You can get bottles as high as 6000 psi.

CIBDiving:
You can get your hydros done at Fire Extingisher suppliers. That's were I get mine done, It'll save you about %50 of the cost, but remember you Still have to get a VIP and fill done!

Another good idea CIB. Most Compressed gas businesses can do a Vis and a fill. These places are actualy experts in filling compressed gas containers. Where as a LDS it's more of a side business. Now don't get me wrong, if I where to use mixed gas I would think that a LDS would have the edge over a compressed gas business.

Trever:
I am just giving a few alternatives to LDS air fills.
Are you anti LDS?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom