Is a camera and house doable for 2k?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marty Bess

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can I ask those here who have a good knowledge base and are not sponsored by any brands what camera and housing would you recommend with a budget of 2k?? I have been using a Gopro for 6 years now. It does a pretty good job at smooth wide-angle videos but that is about it. My video's are more of a Vlog of the dive. Wide-angle reef scenes, divers, fish, kind of in story form.

Is this doable if so please help me with what they would be. I just dont know where to start as I have asked backscatter and other website but they might be sponsored etc.

Thanks a bunch!

The camera surely, but it will be an awful small home without much land!

In all seriousness, yes you can get a quite good camera and housing for that. Backscatter is super legit as well, generally very helpful and unbiased, they will help you get a good setup for you. Take a look at the kits and options available on B&H as well. Watch ebay and classifieds - get a lucky deal and you can pick up a decent used mirrorless and housing for 2k. Remember that lighting (strobes or video lights) is important and maybe 1/3 of your budget should go to that. If you like wide angle look into getting a wide-angle wet lens.

I bought a lightly used Sony a6000, a sea frogs housing, some lightly used Strobes, etc and am into it for around $1200

Sure you can get an Olympus TG-6 with a basic housing and single strobe for under $2K. It will work fine as long as you aren't going really deep.

Absolutely yes. Monitor shop goodwill.com
I got an Ikelite housing for a Canon 6D for $190, the camera with 7.5k clicks for $450 (ebay), lenses from Shop goodwill, ports from various places, vacuum port, vacuum sensor

Sorry, fat fingers on an iphone. All in for $1400
Camera, housing, ports, lenses
100mm macro, 50mm, 18-35 fisheye

Splurged $500 for an Inon 45o viewfinder

TG6 with matching housing should be well under $800. So that leaves $1200 for strobes and a tray. For that you should be able to get two Inon S2000 strobes (under $400 each) and a ULCS tray. You might have to beg your SO for a few more bucks for arms and clamps.Next pay day add a wide angle lens for around $400. To be realistic, you need about $3000.

I have seen used ones but didn't dare since there's no warranty. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Check out www.housingcamera.com - they really need to change their website address - the company is Mozaik. They have bundles that will do what you want for under $2,000 easy. I got my camera and housing elsewhere, but I got my Inon S2000 strobe from them. Good luck!

As stated above, a TG-6 (even in Alu housing) or a compact (in plastic housing) is certainly within the budget...

=> If I were you, I would look in classified (here and Wetpixel). I believe a compact with alu housing & flash(es), maybe even a crop sensor interchangeable lens camera, is also possible, when you are patient and know what exactly you want...

Wolfgang

Back
Top Bottom