Question Is a breaker bar used on DIN regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyWombat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
First of all, thanks everyone for answering all my newbie questions. I'm putting together a Scubatools order and don't want to mess up.

Is a breaker bar only used on yoke regs? Not DIN?

Scubatools Breaker Bar

Attachments

• breaker_bar.jpg
    breaker_bar.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 61
A breaker bar is used on any tool fitting that has the requisite connector (usually a 3/8" square stub for a socket). It's spoken of fondly for certain yoke regs because it fits in the yoke when a 3" extension doesn't fit in the threaded knob hole.
But it can be used on a DIN reg with a (for example) 6mm hex key to get extra purchase to loosen the fitting. It works because, like the one in your picture, it gives a two-handed grab, or like this one
Screenshot_20220407-163457_Amazon Shopping.jpg

is just longer than a ratchet handle.

A sliding T-bar handle socket wrench can also be used. The advantage of the Scubatool breaker bar is low profile. RSlinger has way more experience on regs than me but I have yet to have a need for a breaker bar. More important is a good vise system.

Oh, I get it now. It's just a general purpose tool and not something specific to yoke nuts. The picture on the Scubatools website made my imagination wander because the yoke screw was tightened all the way.

A little aside on the subject, the yoke screw is down on the breaker bar for a reason. Most of the time, the area that the socket has to engage is very narrow . Because of this, there is little surface area for the socket to engage and it is very easy for the socket to rotate up, damaging the hex area, it's soft brass so it does not take much. The yoke screw is used to prevent the socket from moving up and thereby preventing damage to the yoke nut.....and reducing foul language caused by the yoke nut damage. :)

Neither yoke or DIN connections should be excessively tight (see specs) but it not uncommon for them to be tightened by a gorilla tech or corroded in place requiring a good bit of torque to remove, without the yoke socket held tightly in place, damage is very easy to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom