Is 26 lbs of lift enough?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dyin-To-Dive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am going to purchase a new back inflate bc any day now and I want to stay streamlined. I just looked at an Oceanic Islander 2 and wonder if it will be adequate for my diving.

It looks like an amazing, lite, streamlined bc, but only has 26 lbs. of lift. I run singles and wear a 5mm full wetsuit. I am diving fresh water for the majority of my dives with 6 lbs of weight. I use a single, 80 aluminum tank.

When I dive in the ocean, I wear a 3mm full wetsuit. I use 6 lbs of weight and use a single, 80 aluminum tank.

I think this will be plenty of lift, but I just want a professional's opinion :wink:

Yes, its more than enough. Most divers don't need more than that, even with a 7mm suit and 20+ lbs of lead.

I use a 26lb wing with my dry suit, using a 6lb BP, up to 15lb of lead, & a 12lt x 232bar steel tank (100cft).

Last edited:
I'm not a professional, but it seems like plenty to me.

I dive in skins to a 5mm. With an AL80 that would be plenty of lift for me (in fact, my BC has nearly ten pounds less lift than yours would, at 17#). If you are diving AL80's with 6# of weight then it seems like you are basically neutral with no weight, and the 6# is to compensate for breathed gas.

As I understand it, these are the questions you need to ask:

1) Will it float your rig at the surface without you in it?

a) reg = 1# negative
b) weight, if integrated, = 6# negative
c) Tank, when full, = 4.5# negative

The total of that is 10.5# negative, so 26# of lift seems like it would be ample.

It also needs to compensate for the change in buoyancy of your wetsuit. What is a 5mm fullsuit, about 6# positive? So say 6# total compression possible.

a) Amount your wetsuit could be negative, = 6#
b) Amount of "extra" weight you could be negative with a full tank (weight of gas), = 6#

Total of above = 12# (say early in dive when your tank is nearly full and you are at depth with a fully compressed wetsuit. Seems like 27# would be ample.

As I mentioned, I have a 17# wing. I dive in Florida/ocean, and the thickest suit I have worn is a 5mm. Where I could see myself possibly needing a larger wing is if I want to dive with fairly negative steel tank(s), especially in combination with the 5mm suit. (I also have a stainless steel backplate I could switch to a plastic or aluminum one, but still at some point I would need a larger wing.)

(If a professional wants to point out any flaws in my thinking, please go right ahead!)

Thanks for all the great info everyone.

I appreciate it :admingreet:

26 is more than enough. With my 5mm suit I have used one BP with 30 lb and another with 18. I can just barely notice the difference.

The only thing I would question is why not go with a BP/Wing? It makes future modification possible - easy even.

Good question on the bp/wing. I actually bought the Islander 2 and LOVE the fit. I did look at a Halcyon rig and thought it was amazing. I am a rec diver and couldn't justify the extra cost. I got a deal on the Islander 2. I bought it from a local shop and paid $414.00 Total :D.

I will stick with this one for a while until I get more advanced. I am a diver who wants to excel with new certs.

One day, I will buy a BP/Wing rig. One day :blinking:

You will love the Islander II

I just got it! I do love, out of the water :). I can't wait to dive next week and really try it out. I was going to purchase the Excursion and decided to go for a more streamlined bc. I hope this isn't TOO light for what I am using it for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom