Iron blast furnace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Germie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Saturday I had the chance to dive again in the 'Möllerbunker' in Germany.
This is a parc where you can visit an old iron blast furnace. The flooded area are the ore bunkers. Everything is left in these bunkers. The depth is maximum of 6.3m. You need a special permit to dive here.

P2221469-2.md.jpg

P2221487-3.md.jpg

P2221393-2.md.jpg

P2221498.md.jpg

P2221401-3.md.jpg

P2221435-2.md.jpg

P2221531-2.md.jpg

P2221482-2.md.jpg

how much penetration distance is available? the layout seems reasonable to teach an advanced wreck class

Not sure that would be a good idea, since the bunker is underground, it's actually like mine or cave diving.

Michael

Saturday I had the chance to dive again in the 'Möllerbunker' in Germany.
This is a parc where you can visit an old iron blast furnace. The flooded area are the ore bunkers. Everything is left in these bunkers. The depth is maximum of 6.3m. You need a special permit to dive here.

View attachment 569960

View attachment 569961

View attachment 569962

View attachment 569963

View attachment 569964

View attachment 569965

View attachment 569966

View attachment 569967

G...

Any historical significance to this site...WWII?...

Photos are great...thanks for sharing...

W.M...

Not sure that would be a good idea, since the bunker is underground, it's actually like mine or cave diving.

Michael

with limited penetration distance that extended gas planning doesn't become an issue, i don't see how it is much different than an engine room penetration.

You cannot teach here. You need to ask for a permit and that is only given a few times a year. Limited to cave divers, but only if you know the right people. 3 divers is also the max.

It is no cave, but it is overhead. In some places you can breathe some air above you. But you cannot get out. Most parts are completely overhead.
It is small. Only 10 tot 10m or so with 2 layers (highest layer is just halve of the bunker square meters). There is some line, I guess about 50m from the stairs to the round at the bottom. No lines on the bridge at the highest layer. You cannot teach here. The viz will become zero really soon. Sediment at bottom, perculation from old steel above you. Also it is narrow, more or less as narrow as you can find in wrecks. There are 3 bunkers. We dove only the first 2. The 3rd is more away from the others and is more difficult to get in. You need to climb over gates, but you are allowed if you have the permit.

Yes, this has history. It is now a free accessible parc to walk around and climb on some old things like the high blast furnice.
Hochofen 5 // Rundweg Industriegeschichte | Landschaftspark Duisburg-Nord
It shows the history of the steel industry from around 1900 till 1985 when they stopped with everything here. It is a nice place for safe urban exploration, a lot of photographers use the parc to make pictures and it has a really nice scenery.

There is also another place to dive: The Gasometer. This is a round silo filled with water (45m wide, 13m deep), full with objects to explore and open for every diver from open water and up. I have pictures from this divesite. But here only pictures of the 'Möllerbunker'.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom