Irma in the Cayman Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scoobydrew

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hey there all...

I'm putting this post up as a way of providing a man on the ground source of information for those who have an interest in the effect of Irma on the Cayman Islands.

In the interest of full disclosure, I work for a dive op on Grand Cayman called Divetech.

Over the last week, I have received a large amount of digital correspondence from friends around the world who have seen the press about hurricane Irma and the devastation she has been causing throughout the Caribbean. The general theme of the messages are based on concern for my well being and wishes for my safety, I thank all who sent these messages for their thoughts.

When Irma was first charted, it was predicted that it might pass straight through the Cayman Islands. As time passed, the prediction changed to show that the hurricane would turn right and head up to Florida.

Irma has been a devastating force of nature that has had some incredibly tragic effects on the lives of people who live in her path, my heart goes out to those on the outer islands, in particular to my friends out there who have had to sit out an incredibly tough storm with another one waiting in the wings behind. The whole story has yet to unfold as the impact has yet to hit Florida.

The information I would like to pass on from Cayman is that we caught the tail end of the storm and really were lucky to escape pretty much unscathed. Today (Saturday) is the worst that we have forecast and to my knowledge no operators were able to get out today. I would expect that as of tomorrow boats will be starting to run again with business as usual being resumed in a couple of days though without the option to dive the whole island.

To put this into context, last night, I was on a boat trip in the sound which was a pirate themed booz cruise and while onboard I met a Floridian who had been evacuated from her home and had come to Cayman to escape the hurricane.

I do thank those who have been thinking of us down here but in honesty, we are fine. Consideration of financial support should be directed to the harder hit areas who need it. Anyone who has a trip planned to the Cayman Islands should rest assured that diving is very much still on the menu.

For those who like to shore dive, the west side of the island is a bit of a mess right now and will likely take a few days to settle. No Kittiwake dives for a bit.

While driving around the island today, once I got away from the coast, there were really very few reminders that there was a hurricane in the neighborhood.

Thanks for thinking of us

A Camanian resident (Drew)

I'll be on Grand Cayman the first week of October and appreciate your update. I'm relieved you and your fellow islanders are well!

I figured Cuba would protect you guys!

I'm on island also pretty much what Drew said no real damage but diving will suck for a few days.

Only got out on Friday morning shore dive at Sunset and the current was ripping had tried Sundivers,Lighthouse and Eden but they were too rough so continues south to Sunset House when we got out of the water about 10 ish it was becoming UNdiveable.

It's windy and rainy now will not try to dive till Monday

Turtle farm on Saturday
Jean land 007.JPG
Jean land 006.JPG

Back
Top Bottom