Irfanview Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TTA

Reaction score
hi! I need help with Irfanview. I'm using it to batch process some images - reducing the image size. I find that the pictures turn out much more pixellated than if I do it with Photoshop. Why is this when I'm using both programs to reduce them to the same size?

I know that Photoshop is also able to batch convert, but it seems like you set the width and height rather than a size for the long and short side. Does this mean that it does say portrait shots fine but messes up the landscape shots or vice versa?

Thanks!

Photoshop has better algorithms. Also, check your jpg quality settings. You may have inadvertently set a lower quality level, or the default may be lower.

Re batch convert, you could try doing two passes, although separating portrait and landscape may be a hassle if you're dealing with a large number of pictures.

I use ACDsee, and have been happy with their results.

Thanks Compudude. I didn't know that they had different algorithms for image resizing...I've set the quality onto 100% highest so don't think it is due to that. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to go through the resizing twice thing - can't stand the reduction in image quality through Irfanview. Grrrrr. :shakehead

Would try ACDsee but it isn't free is it? And after I'd shelled out for Photoshop, I can't justify buying another one I guess.

If anyone knows of a free good batch conversion software program - please do let me know!

Irfanview image resize is very rudimentary, but make sure that you have Use Resample Function enabled for better results. Otherwise the resize will be linear by default, with shocking results.

I personally prefer Gimp on the freeware front, but the GUI comes from the original Linux version, so it takes some getting used to for Windows users. It is worth the trouble - especially when you want to get more advanced and start writing your own batch scripts.

By the way, why are you not using Photoshop for the batch conversions? IIRC, you can apply an Action to a selection of files. I may be mistaken ...

Cheers,

Andrew

TTA:
I know that Photoshop is also able to batch convert, but it seems like you set the width and height rather than a size for the long and short side. Does this mean that it does say portrait shots fine but messes up the landscape shots or vice versa?

Thanks!

TTA: In Photoshop CS2 use the File>Automate>Fit Image command rather than the Image>Image Size command in your action. If you use the Image Size and set it for portrait it will mess up landscape as you suggest. The Fit Image command has a dialogue box that will let you "Constrain Within" a maximum number of pixels for both height and width. This should get you the result you want.

---Bob

Back
Top Bottom