Iraq Care Packages?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A good friend of mine is shipping off to Iraq for a year, and I'd like to get an idea of what I can send to him.

I've asked Senor Google, and he has a lot of good suggestions, but most seem tailored to troops who are out on the front lines. My bud is an officer and as far as I can tell he's going to be stationed full-time at Camp Victory in the green zone. So I don't know if stuff like foot powder and moleskin is going to be quite as useful for him (though if there's a general shortage of stuff like that maybe he can give them away to those who need it)? Similarly, I now know the base has stuff like movies, coffee, cafeteria food etc. (and here I thought everyone just got MREs all day and night), but I have no idea what kind of quantities/variety are involved (e.g., would general stuff like instant or fresh ground coffee, cookies, etc. be usable or just redundant)?

So anyways, I know there are a lot of military peeps here so I thought I'd ask if anyone had suggestions on what kind of amenities would make life easier on-base (and also, suggestions on what NOT to send - I know he likes durian of all things, but I gotta think about the other troops too).

Thanks!

Wow how could this be missed. I sent toothbrushes, handiwipes, carmex, and things like packets of seasonings for different fast food places.. I sent them in a USPS box for (I think) $9. It is a flat rate that ships to APO boxes anywhere in the world..
Oh and my old Suba Mags

Dunno about sending to people you know but if you want to send packages to more random personel AnySoldier.com has guidelines. You can also find people to send packages to sorted by various factors such as branch of service, gender, home town etc..

I send

CD's
DVD's
Video Games
Books
Magazines
Buy bulk candy and snacks and re-bag in smaller portions (zip locks)
Wipes
Drink Mix-esp in single serving sizes
Disposable cameras
Phone Cards
paper, pens, envelopes
Socks
Shorts
T-shirts
tooth brushes
just about any item from the drug store
batteries
toys and things for the kids
Liquor (may get them in trouble-check first)

DO NOT SEND ANY REQUEST FOR A FAVOR IN RETURN.

Newspapers
Beef jerky
triscuits
dvd's

Not- chocolate (melts)

And when in doubt- ask what he needs!

Thanks all! Sounds like we have a lot of great options.

Hello, new to this forum and read through your thread, I spent two years in Iraq and 1 year in Afghanistan, and know a few items that could be of help.

1) Beef Jerky - This stuff is awesome over seas and really hard to get, a few of the big bags will last for weeks
2) Ravioli Cans - This stuff is awesome also, sometimes that chow hall really sucks, and its good to have a good ol' can of Ravioli or Spaghetti and Meatballs
3) Water Heater with Ramen - If your friend likes ramen, buy him a small water heater, it usually costs about $10-$15. This can be plugged into a HMWV or into an UPS, and it heats the water in 2 min. This is also useful for shaving, coffee, tea, etc. :coffee:
4) Baby Wipes - Baby Wipes are like gold, we use them for everything, cleaning our weapons, cleaning our gear, cleaning ourselves, used in the wash room, everything.
5) Q-Tips - Just like the baby wipes, we use them for everything, weapons, ourselves, and helps get the dirt out of smaller equipment
6) Hand Sanitizer - The Chow Hall usually offers this but is good to have on the road, usually uses it during chow time or after cleaning gear
7) Kool-Aid Canisters - I loved these while I was over there, we are given huge bottles of water and Kool-Aid makes it better. The huge tubs last a long time, I would send two or three different flavors
8) Candy - Stuff like suckers, life-savers, gum, etc are really good, things that won't melt and can be carried around in a pocket or small bad.
9) Condiments - The chow rarely has good condiments, so I would send small bottles of Tabasco (if they like it) salt, pepper, season salt, garlic salt, etc. I would always carry something to the chow hall to put on my meal, and they work well in MREs too.
10) Books - nothing beats the work day like a good book, I read a ton while I was over there. My parents sent me an E-reader with a ton of books on it, never put it down.
11) If he has an ipod or computer, send him some music or movies, these are great for down time and increases moral.
12) Stuff for letters and packages.

There are a lot more things, it just depends where he is at and what FOB he is on. If you have any questions please ask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom