IPX-8 rating - how do you know its diveable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fuzzybabybunny

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'd like a light for the 4 day Thanksgiving weekend. Rather than pay $20 to rent a light that uses 8 C batteries, I want to pick up a bright LED flashlight locally. The only lights around where I'm at are low value pistol grip Princeton Tecs, but a local surplus storesells the Fenix TA21 light, 225 lumens and IPX8 standard, but no depth or duration rating.

How do I know if it's divable? How did people know that the DealExtreme CREE flashlight was diveable, since that doesn't give a depth or duration rating either?

Don't completely steer away from the pistol grip Princeton Tec, for what the run for it is actually a rather decent light. Granted it is not a 21w HID, but it gets the job done. I have one that I use on occasion and it actually serves its function quite well.

I've actually rented the Princeton Tec, and I can't for the life of me figure out why I would actually own one. For the same price I can get something that is just as bright or brighter, more ergonomic, much more compact, and uses batteries that are not Cs. The last time I even touched a C cell was back in the early 90's in a boombox. But these Princetons are the most readily available unfortunately.

Don't completely steer away from the pistol grip Princeton Tec, for what the run for it is actually a rather decent light. Granted it is not a 21w HID, but it gets the job done. I have one that I use on occasion and it actually serves its function quite well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom