IPO/IPE considerations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know from 2 cases where they survived (in 1 of them, I took him out of a cave with another diver).

In both cases no real cause was found. For 1 diver it was his last dive then (he decided due to his age over over 77 to quit serious diving then and only dove in a pool since this happened).
The other was a younger woman under 40, but after it happened never quit diving (was in the water 2 days after it happened again) and we don't have that much contact, but over 1500 dives are done since then, including technical dives on ccr without any problem.

I know if I mention the word ipe in my club, almost nobody knows what it is. But it is a rare condition, so it is not strange that you don't know all the things. Dcs happens more often and in every course is teached if you don't know what it is, give oxygen and call a doctor. So then this will be done with ipe also. Is it then needed to know all the specific things that can happen?
I never heard anything when I did competition swimming. I never learned that word when I was a swimming instructor for kids. So no parent will probably ever heard of it. Is this needed? In my eyes not.
Every diver knows what to do, oxygen, and call a doctor. The rest is diagnoses for the doctor.

There was an article written a female Dive Physician who actually experienced difficulty in breathing while doing her first decompression stop on a cave dive. It was an extensive done by a physician who was a Cave Diver (experienced). I do not remember what forum it was on, but it was maybe 10-15 years ago. I was interested in IPO/ IPE because of a fatal diving incident that happened a friend. I talked to his buddy who stayed with him from the initial coughing and thumbs up signal to their Safety stop at 20 feet. The diver who was having difficulty continued coughing paused at the 20 foot stop and just bolted to the surface. The people on the boat saw him surface and quickly assessed that there was trouble. He was not breathing and had no pulse. The tried CPR but he had already passed. The small-town coroner who did the autopsy gave "Decompression Sickness" as the cause of death. From that day which was June 21 ....so many years ago (90's) it always bugged me what could have caused this 24 year old diver to die. Today with what I have read and discussion with Physicians I really feel that my friend had IPE.

I FOUND THE ARTICLE!! It was on this forum July 9, 2010 "

Denisegg's incident and near miss at Jackson Blue​

Back
Top Bottom