iPhone 7 will be a dive computer; maybe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheHuth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I just saw the new ads for the iPhone 7. They're saying it will be waterproof, and have useful functions for a diver or underwater photographer. I'm betting an app will make it in to a full Dive Computer.

The crazy thing is today when I was driving, I was wondering if it would be possible to create a special water proof case for an iphone with buttons that you could use with gloves. You could then leverage the CPU in the iphone to use it as dive computer.

Apple To Release iPhone 7, iPhone Pro, iPhone SE In 2016

There are already a couple housings for iphones available on the market. I'd be surprised if they make an iphone that's depth rated. It's an entirely different set of engineering challenges to make something survive at depth, as opposed to making something survive in a few feet of water.

If Apple figured out how to overcome the water pressure acting as a massive button press on their touch screen, I will be truly impressed.

So called " water proof" by general electronics manufacture really means splash proof in diving language. It may survive a dip in water of a few feet for a short time, there is no way a phone without a dedicated case will survive a dive in recreation depth. It is really mean to stand up if you accidentally drop the phone into a sink, pool, or toilet :)

I don't see why Apple would make their product have any sort of substantial depth capability. The added cost wouldn't be worth it to most of their customers. Not to mention there's still the challenge of touch screen, speakers and the microphone. As mentioned, there's already cases and apps to turn it into a dive computer, but the problem I see with those is eventually the cases leak. A bad o ring, a piece of sand, etc. and you've not only lost your phone, but your dive computer as well. Many of the reviews on those products aren't very good either. Mostly bad experiences with the pressure sensor and the app crashing. Not something you want to happen during a dive.

But there is a silver lining so to speak... Many dive computer manufacturers are adding more capabilities, better color screens and backwards compatible/upgradable firmware. I believe in the not so distant future dive computers will have some great features similar to smart phones. Gps, onboard camera, to name a couple.

Edit: It is possible though that Apple sees the increase in use of action cameras and they're going to make them have some sort of depth rating that could be taken to limited depths.

If Apple figured out how to overcome the water pressure acting as a massive button press on their touch screen, I will be truly impressed.

Modern phones do not use pressure-sensitive screens, they sense the presence of your electrically-conductive finger. Which is also a problem when water is involved, of course.

Modern phones do not use pressure-sensitive screens, they sense the presence of your electrically-conductive finger. Which is also a problem when water is involved, of course.
I don't believe the new "3d touch" is capacitive, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, Alberto here makes a case for phones allowing them to be cameras and dive computers.

....... I was wondering if it would be possible to create a special water proof case for an iphone with buttons that you could use with gloves. You could then leverage the CPU in the iphone to use it as dive computer......
There are already several solutions in the market that allows you to use an iPhone as a dive computer. Some of them are targeting specific iphones and requires a specific case with an integrated depth/temperature sensor.

Our Smart Dive Computer solution is an "open" approach as we use an external depth/temperature sensor, support all iPhones (from 4S and up - including iPad) and cases from different vendors.
See this post for list of smartphones / cases supported by our SDC solution.

divenav_sdb_iphon6splus_pr_20151027_560.jpg

Back
Top Bottom