Invitation to Spearfish, Dive, Fish and Hunt in New Zealand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi Fellow Hunters, Fishos and Spearos.

I have a unique situation where I am finishing up my corporate job this year and going to be hunting, fishing and diving my way around New Zealand for 3-4 months.
This is my backyard and have extensively hunted, fished and speared a large majority of NZ over the last 10 years. To see what I get up to on the weekends etc check out Nick Binks (@nick_binks) • Instagram photos and videos
I have a 4WD vehicle and boat that allows me to go to the most remote areas and islands around NZ. I also have all the gear including spare gear for people to join me.

Over this period I am happy for people to come over and I can take them out to target whatever they desire. What I ask for in return is that later this year or next year that when I am travelling I can do the same in your home town or country. Individuals and up to 3 people is manageable any more would need to discuss. I will list the species and animals that I target and the best month/time frame. If you into hunting as well we have 7 species of Deer and Also have other game like Tahr, Chamois, pigs and the list goes on.

Deer (March to May)
If you are a trophy hunter or meet hunter this is the one of best times to hunt the 7 species of deer we have in NZ. Most species of stags are in Hard antler at this stage including Red deer, Wapiti, Fallow, Whitetail, Sika and Rusa. It is also the roar or rut for most of our deer species over this period. 3 day trips are great but a week is even better to get into remote areas and target some big animals.

Game Fish
(March –Late April)
Certain areas of the country fish better at different times but depending on the weather patterns ultimately determines how long the game fish stay
Albacore Tune, Yellow Fin Tuna, Big Eye Tuna, Marlin (stripped, black, Blue, Short Bill), Mako, Bronze Whaler, Blue Shark, Swordfish/Broadbill, Mahi Mah.

Diving is best in late summer or winter when the water has the best visibility. Plenty awesome dives on the surrounding islands and some great recreation dives in our reserves and wrecks, not to mention diving for seafood.

In New Zealand Pelagic, reef and weedline fish can be targeted by both spearfishing or fished all year around but with better weather being (Late February and April) it give more opportunity to the islands
Yellowtail/Kingfish (One of the best fighting fish and gett up to 50kg most commonly 10-25kg)
Snapper (The best tasting and fish to hunt up to 16kg but most commonly 1kg-7kg)
There is a massive list of other fish that you can look up and I target all of them.

Other Seafood
Crayfish/ Rock lobster
Paua/Abalone
Shellfish of a huge variety.

Obviously a certain capability is required to hunt and gather a lot of what I mention above and a more competent, fit and enthusiastic outdoorsman would benefit from this opportunity.
Look forward to hearing from you.

Nick

Hi Nick,
I would like to join you. I'll be in NZ from 10 Feb to 7th Mar. I'm a technical diver from Europe. Please let me know, if you go under water during my visit.
Cheers Tom

Back
Top Bottom