Invest In A Vest??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AstridWilson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Heading to Hawaii in September. The water Temp is 80 degrees. We usually Dive in the Caribbean with Water temps a few degrees warmer. I do no really like or need a wetsuit and neither does my husband but was wondering if there is any benefit to a sleeveless shorty or vest. Are Vests worn with just a skin a waste or money?

Point 1: depending on where you are going in Hawaii, you might not find 80 F. See Coastal Water Temperature Guide and note these are averages....so it can be warmer or colder.

Point 2: I've seen too many folks who wished after-the-fact that they'd had full body coverage, if not for warmth then for stinging things in the water and scrapes and cuts from the environment,

Point 3: A well-fitting vest/shortie can keep you warmer, but not give any protection.

Point 4: very few people complain of being too hot in the water, but many complain of being too cold.

Point 5: There is a reason folks wear a 3mm or 5mm full wetsuit in Hawaii, and it is not because they are wimps. It is a good idea, with no real downside.

I live in the Caribbean and always wear a full suit. I am a bit of a wimp and right now the water temp is 81 degrees. I'm wearing a 1 mm skin with my hooded vest. I'll probably take it off next month. ff you are going to be doing multiple dives each day, you may want to take your suit and not worry about being cold.

I should have added that I do sometimes wear a full skin. To me the down side of a wet suit is that it is not that comfortable.

I should have added that I do sometimes wear a full skin. To me the down side of a wet suit is that it is not that comfortable.
I'm guessing the wetsuits you don't like are older and thicker and don't fit well. A modern ultrastretch 3mm that fits you (each manufacturer is different) feels like a warm skin.

My least favorite wetsuit is my 5mm. I also have a 3mm, 1mm, 3mm hooded vest and 3mm jacket. I layer them for optimum warmth. When I travel I usually take the 1 or 3 suit plus the jacket or hood depending on destination and water temp.

Back
Top Bottom