inverted compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_masked_diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi everyone.

I have been using compass for a long time in land, and I get used to the right indications (North 0º south 180º) Using diving compass is hard to me. I know why they have the numbers inverted, but in the way I use it, I´d like to have 0º in north and 180º in south. So, does anyone know any model of diving compass that have the numbers in that way?

Thank you

Hi everyone.

I have been using compass for a long time in land, and I get used to the right indications (North 0º south 180º) Using diving compass is hard to me. I know why they have the numbers inverted, but in the way I use it, I´d like to have 0º in north and 180º in south. So, does anyone know any model of diving compass that have the numbers in that way?

Thank you
What brand/model if diving compass do you have that is "inverted"?

What he is referring to is the 180 degrees by the N script:

I think he wants one that has 0 there at N?

James

This is the thing with compasses intended to be read from the side as opposed to from above. I looked for one without this feature as well as my wife found it equally confusing, but I didn’t find a good one. (I think I found some, but they were for various reasons not “good” and I don’t recall which they were, sorry…)

I know how you feel, don’t know what genius decided to reinvent the compass. This is my one but I don’t know where you’ll get one now

Attachments

• D86C3FE7-D051-4138-BBC1-D5CA1642F26D.jpeg
    D86C3FE7-D051-4138-BBC1-D5CA1642F26D.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 91
Unfortunately, most scuba compasses are "sighting" compasses. They're set up so that you look across the dial to see the direction you are going; both in terms of quadrant (i.e.- N, E, S, or W) and the azimuth. The figures that read correctly (not upside down) are the ones to read.

The idea is that the compass is used for navigation underwater. It is intended to be used to figure out the heading you need to be on from the point you are at to the point you want to find. That means sighting across the top of the compass dial, along the pointers, and off toward where you want to go. This should have been emphasized and discussed in your underwater navigation course.

It can still be viewed from above to figure out which way is North, you just have to ignore the numbers on the card (the dial inside) and line up the bezel on the outside to match the needle and there you are...from the numbers on the bezel.

Equally unfortunate is the fact that "S" generally reads the same right side up or upside down. This lead to the confusion most see when they look at these devices.

As a land surveyor who uses compasses regularly, I never thought about the issue until my wife pointed out that her compass was "printed backwards".

Took me the longest time to figure out why I sucked at compass navigation underwater (used to do orienteering competitions in my teens)

Perhaps you can get a ‘southern’ diving compass (or ‘northern’ if you are in the Southern Hemisphere)… but then your in the same but opposite boat…

Or take a quality oil filled land compass down.

_R

The old Ikelite compasses were "inverted" too, meaning they were not intended to be use for sighting a heading.
It is awkward when someone learns a tool for one situation and then finds the tool has been changed for optimal use in another situation. Being adaptable is the key, as opposed to never wanting anything to change.

Hi everyone.

Thank you

The mirrored dial is much better because its easier to align the needle with the bearing you need then the body of the compass will point in the correct direction. I am surprised that people here saying they never used them on land because thats exactly the same type of compass we used when I went with my dad to expeditions. Its hard to impossible to draw directions on the map otherwise. With the mirrored dial you align the map grid south north then set the bearing and align the needle the body of the compas will show you the direction on the map.

Back
Top Bottom