Inversion and Blood Pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bombay High

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have recently started doing inversions with gravity boots as part of my workout regime.
I really like it, and have found it to be very beneficial.
I have been told that it is medically not advisable and can pose an increased threat of stroke due to increased blood pressure in the brain.
I was wondering if this was true, and whether that also held true for when you are inverted underwater ?
Confused ...

I don't know about strokes, but if you are upside down, the blood will pool in your head due to gravity.

I assume gravity works underwater as well.

In fact, the brain, absent trauma, has superb autoregulation -- meaning that if your blood pressure goes up, changes occur in the brain vessels to keep it steady; same if it goes down. The small changes involved in standing on your head present no risk to your brain if your brain is normal.

I often do a "head stand" while diving to get a picture under a ledge or other close spot. Sometimes I will be in that position for several minutes. I have never felt any adverse effects, nor have I ever heard that one should not do this.
DivemasterDennis

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom