Invasive species issue on Little Cayman?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RJP

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Or lazy social media admin at Scuba Diving Magazine...

ScubaDiving.JPG

The anemone fish invasion is not as well publicized as the lion fish invasion, but it is quite serious. They are out-cuting all other area species.

Must have just happened.........I was there last year and didn't see any.:D

The anemone fish invasion is not as well publicized as the lion fish invasion, but it is quite serious. They are out-cuting all other area species.

Maybe they are good for the environment. Just look at how much they have made the anemones grow.

Maybe they are good for the environment. Just look at how much they have made the anemones grow.

Well, they do have a symbiotic relationship. But since anemones are not normally plentiful in that region either, maybe we are seeing a two part invasion.

Invasive plants have created a great demand for divers. I wish more divers would step up to battle the invasion all around our planet. !!!! If there are divers wishing to learn more follow me on my YouTube channel divecon42. WE NEED YOUR HELP.
YouTube

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

---------- Post added August 21st, 2015 at 06:18 PM ----------

YouTube

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The picture was taken in the Pacific Ocean. That anemone and other invertebrates in the picture make this abundantly clear.

Oh, wow. Lionfish are one thing, but I can imagine the public image of a bunch of spear fishers going on 'Nemo roundups.'

This is the 1st I'd read of them in the Caribbean (this thread). Wonder how well they do in areas where the native anemones aren't accustomed to clown fish?

Richard.

Actually, things like this happen with too great frequency in scuba publications.

Articles get carefully written by people who know what they are talking about, and then they are published. The people who do the final layouts are layout editors who often know little about the subject of the article, and their job is to make the final product look good. A favorite trick at the last minute is to dip into the file of stock photos and plug one in. I myself have been the victim of this twice.

1. When we published the article in the PADI professional journal promoting teaching OW student in a horizontal, neutrally buoyant position and NEVER on the knees, the layout artist had a problem. he had to fill a certain amount of empty space on the page, and he saw that the article was about OW instruction. He put in a big picture of an OW class, with students planted firmly on their knees.

2. When my current dive shop put out a blurb in its newsletter for our new Advanced Recreational and Technical program and the classes that focus on buoyancy, trim, and propulsion, the newsletter designer wanted to put in a nice picture. He saw the word "buoyancy" in the blurb and put in a picture of someone doing the Buddha hover--the precise opposite of what the classes teach. Anyone interested in what the program offered would see the picture would immediately dismiss the program as not worth considering.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom