Introducing OSCT MK2 2N

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like that it's all setup for bungee mount and the active color display. For the rec diver it's missing AI and a digital compass, and the handy graphs showing nitrogen loading and O2 toxicity.

What kind of battery and button system is it using?

This isn't a rec computer. Check out the Frog if you're looking for a rec computer.

I've found digital compasses to be crap, and wouldn't trust one for navigation until I see one in action that is otherwise. I've watched them vary by as many as ten degrees in both directions while stationary.

AI is useless for most tech diving unless you want to buy a pile of transmitters. This is especially true if you're diving an hypoxic mix that requires a travel gas (one transmitter for your bottom gas, two if you have isolated doubles or sidemount, another transmitter for your travel gas, and two more for your deco bottles) You'll need spg's for each bottle, as a computer loss or failure would render all five transmitters useless, so you've added unnecessary failure-points to each bottle, unnecessary entanglement hazards to each bottle (those transmitters stick out like a sore thumb) and you still have to put the AI data in a readable, non-confusing format on the screen without compromising the readability and format of the other data. It's got to be 10,000 times easier to just look at the gauge attached to the bottle you're using.

I'm unsure on the nitrogen loading graph. I assume that "technical" dives either involve an overhead, or a planned decompression schedule. If I have mandatory decompression then the graph as it exists on recreational dive computers would be useless. I'll want to know what the depths of my stops are, and how long I'll have to be at each stop. The graph won't drop out of the decompression zone until right before I surface from my last stop.

CNS% and PPO2 seem to be displayed on the main screen, which is perfect. I would like to know if it displays in imperial units as has been suggested elsewhere, and what the service procedure would be for US customers.

I probably should just try to learn metric everything, it's "easier" to convert everything, but I hate the idea of using dwindling hard-drive space on such things :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom