Introducing MACROMATE MINI for GoPro - True Macro Lens for Underwater GoPro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JennPenn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
bs-flip-mm_2.jpg

Hey GoPro Shooters!
It's JennPenn from Backscatter Underwater Video & Photo. Just wanted to let you know about our newest product, the MACROMATE MINI. It's a true macro lens for your GoPro Hero3 and Hero3+. Now you can capture small to very small to tiny critters like frogfish, ghost pipefish, nudibranchs etc., filling the frame with tack-sharp video and photos! In-stock and shipping now!

Check out this video of actual underwater footage taken with GoPro Hero3+ and MACROMATE MINI.
[video=vimeo;86718440]http://vimeo.com/86718440[/video]

The MACROMATE MINI opens up a whole new realm of creative possibilities for the underwater GoPro shooter! Here are some ways we like to set-up our GoPro when going on a dive:

bs-flip-mm_4.jpg

Using two 55mm threaded adapters, we'll use the +10 Close-Up Lens on the top FLIP, and the MACROMATE MINI on the side FLIP. With this set-up, you can shoot basketball-sized subjects about 6-12" away using the +10 Close-Up Lens. On the same dive, you can also shoot the tiny critters, getting as close as 3" away with the MACROMATE MINI.

GoPro_Macro_Lens_Closeup_Macromate_ScorpFish_2000.jpg

Click here to view the scorpionfish image comparison larger: http://www.backscatter.com/hostedst...cro_Lens_Closeup_Macromate_ScorpFish_2000.jpg

bs-flip-mm_5.jpg

Now you can shoot both macro AND wide angle on the same dive! Configure your FLIP3.1 system with the DIVE filter (or filter of your choice for your specific diving conditions) on the top FLIP, and the MACROMATE MINI with 55mm threaded adapter on the side FLIP. Your underwater GoPro shooting has just evolved!

Check out the First Look and Details video for the MACROMATE MINI!
[video=vimeo;89358273]http://vimeo.com/89358273[/video]

The MACROMATE MINI is in-stock and shipping now! For more product information:
Backscatter Macromate Mini Underwater Macro Lens for GoPro with Flip Filter System

Attachments

• bs-flip-mm_2_800px.jpg
    bs-flip-mm_2_800px.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 202
  • bs-flip-mm_4_800px.jpg
    bs-flip-mm_4_800px.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 181
  • bs-flip-mm_5_800px.jpg
    bs-flip-mm_5_800px.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 162
  • GoPro_Macro_Lens_Closeup_Macromate_ScorpFish_2000.jpg
    GoPro_Macro_Lens_Closeup_Macromate_ScorpFish_2000.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Will you show us some side by side comparisons with and without the MM Mini? Or compared with +5 diopter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

really nice

Hi trevalo,
I added a 3-up comparison of a scorpionfish to the post. You'll notice the image in the center with the +10 Close-Up is sharper than the image on the left without. You'll also notice that the image on the right with the MACROMATE MINI is not only sharp, but in tight!

---------- Post added April 4th, 2014 at 01:00 PM ----------

Hi SubMatt,
Backscatter make 3 red filters - SHALLOW, DIVE AND DEEP - to correspond to different diving depths in blue water. We also make a magenta filter for green water and fresh water conditions. For night diving, we make a yellow filter for those into fluorescence.

There are topside applications too! Using our 55mm threaded adapter, you can mount a polarizer filter or a graduated neutral density filter. Lots of options, and lots of ways you can configure your GoPro Hero3 or Hero3+ with the FLIP3.1 system. Whatever your adventure, your GoPro can be ready to capture those moments.

For more info on the products mentioned: Backscatter :: Underwater video :: compact video :: parts & accessories :: filters

Cheers!

I purchased the Macromate Mini today along with a green water flip filter. Our viz in lower Puget Sound isn't usually good enough for distance shots....so I go for the macro shots. Unless it's a GPO, I don't get that tight with those, my camera isn't for the taking! Hopefully Backscatter will offer a package deal for cold water divers too! Thanks Jennifer!

I saw the footage of the macromate at the Boston Sea Rovers- it was very, very good.

How well does it work with one of the flip filters in place? I'd like to shoot without lights.

I saw the footage of the macromate at the Boston Sea Rovers- it was very, very good.

How well does it work with one of the flip filters in place? I'd like to shoot without lights.

hi DesertEagle, the flip filter cannot be layered with the Macromate mini, however the Macromate mini is designed with threads in front allowing for a filter to be screwed on. You can see the threads in JennPenns picture. We do lose 1-2 F stops of light with the filter. We just need to be certain we have good ambient light or do some post processing. Hope that helps until JennPenn weighs in!

I purchased the Macromate Mini today along with a green water flip filter. Our viz in lower Puget Sound isn't usually good enough for distance shots....so I go for the macro shots. Unless it's a GPO, I don't get that tight with those, my camera isn't for the taking! Hopefully Backscatter will offer a package deal for cold water divers too! Thanks Jennifer!

Thanks for your purchase, Seahorse Deb! We can't wait to see your GoPro macro video with the Macromate Mini!
I've passed on your request for a Macromate Mini package... if enough cold water divers show that there is interest, chances are better that a package will be offered. Drop a line to the Backscatter Sales Team and let them know. sales@backscatter.com

Cheers!
JennPenn

---------- Post added April 9th, 2014 at 11:59 AM ----------

Hi DesertEagle,
As Seahorse Deb mentioned, the FLIP filters do not stack with the Macromate Mini; however, Backscatter is in the process of making a 55mm threaded DIVE filter which you will be able to screw onto the front of the Macromate Mini. If you haven't seen our First Look & Details video with Berkley White and Mike Tamayo, check it out and they show it in the video.
MACROMATE MINI First Look and Details on Vimeo

However, our recommendation for shooting macro video is to always use lights, it just knocks out that ambient light that shows up as cyan blues... but it's always great to have options!

Cheers!
Jenn Penn

Back
Top Bottom