Intro to Cave Travel Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pinto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Intro to Cave traning limits a diver to a single tank w/H valve installed. Other than Ginnie and in Fla, which LDSs offer Nitrox tank rentals with an H valve installed?

Thanks

Intro to Cave traning limits a diver to a single tank w/H valve installed. Other than Ginnie and in Fla, which LDSs offer Nitrox tank rentals with an H valve installed?

Does it? Seems to me any lds that offers Intro to Cave would also offer the gear required. When I did my Intro to Cave, my instructor rented me everything necessary that I did not already own. :idk:

Me thinks you need to "flush out" your question. :coffee:

Ginnie only fills 21% nitrox, and their few H valve singles only have that in them. If you fill up the street with 32%, be sure to dump it all before you leave so you don't leave Ginnie with a mystery mix, as they have no analyzer.

Any reason you aren't taking this in doubles? While not required, doubles do allow much more emergency gas, easier trim, can be easily rented from CEE or other shops for something like $10-$15 per day, and are required for future certifications. They are more of a standard and easier to find than H valved singles down here.

I think it's good to own as much of the gear as possible. I've found I do more diving when I don't have to rent gear. But Halemano has a good point in that your instructor can probably assist you with gear rental.

My apologies for not being clear with my question. For the training, getting a single with an H valve from the instructor is not a problem.

My question is about post completing the Intro training. I will want to log dives at various Fla locations not near to Ginnie leading up to the next level of training. I own all my own gear but need to travel by air to dive Fla. Bringing my own tanks as luggage is a hassle. I know doubles are available to rent just about everywhere, but the Intro to cave training specifies a single tank with H valve.

So my question is what do other out of state divers typically do when Intro to Cave Certified and wanting to log single tank H valve dives in the area? I don't imagine many LDS are going to be agreeable to me bringing my own H valves with me to place in their rental tanks.

Thanks for your feedback

but the Intro to cave training specifies a single tank with H valve.

?? What agency is this?

?? What agency is this?
From NACD Web Site:
Purpose: To develop a cave diving proficiency within limitations of a single tank. It is for the diver who does not wish the burden of double tanks or is not interested in cave exploration and long decompression dives. It is recreational cave diving course. The course develops and establishes minimum skills, knowledge, dive planning abilities, problem solving procedures and the basic abilities necessary to safely cave dive using single cylinders.

From NACD Training Site:
INTRODUCTION TO CAVE DIVING COURSE

PURPOSE: The course develops and establishes minimum skills, knowledge, dive planning abilities, problem solving procedures and the basic abilities necessary to safely cave dive to limited penetrations, using single tanks.

I did however find this statement from another NACD training site: For clarification, an Introduction to Cave Diver certification will be issued if the student successfully completes this course using a single tank with H-valve setup. A Basic Cave Diver certification will be issued if the student successfully completes this course using doubles.

I believe every agency offers a certification that specifies what amounts to "intro in doubles." Some call it Basic instead of Intro. Some have it expire and revert to Intro after 18 months or a year.

Doubles are easier to rent and because you should, barring an emergency, exit with 2/3 of your gas remaining instead of only 1/3 in a single tank, give you a wider safety margin for any big screw ups.

Some people are uncomfortable using them if they have never used them before, but I personally found doubles very easy to get used to. It's not a dumb idea to try and dive in them before the class.

I believe every agency offers a certification that specifies what amounts to "intro in doubles." Some call it Basic instead of Intro. Some have it expire and revert to Intro after 18 months or a year.

Doubles are easier to rent and because you should, barring an emergency, exit with 2/3 of your gas remaining instead of only 1/3 in a single tank, give you a wider safety margin for any big screw ups.

Some people are uncomfortable using them if they have never used them before, but I personally found doubles very easy to get used to. It's not a dumb idea to try and dive in them before the class.
Thanks. This is exactly the information I was looking for.

Greetings Pinto I received a Intro to Cave from TDI in double 95's and trained at Ginnie Springs to get the cert.
Upon completing the class I received a waiver to be able to dive doubles at Ginnie.
You have to carry this waiver with you if you plan to dive doubles there.
Training in doubles is wise before you go for your class shut down drill and air share are several that I would work on.
When in the class LISTEN VERY CAREFULLY AND PERFORM THE SKILLS EXACTLY AS INSTRUCTED!
Working with reels on dry land can help as well.
Do some of this in a dark room or blacked out mask practicing ties and placements.
Those are a few of the things I did pre class not to mention plenty of in water practice.

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

dive outpost in luraville rents singles with h's. rennaker's prolly does, too.

Back
Top Bottom