Intova Sport HD is one heck of "bang for the buck" product

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Insta-Gator

☀️ Endless Summer 🌤
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back from the Scubaboard Invasion to Bonaire. Had a great time.

My Intova Sport HD performed flawlessly. While Go Pro folks were swapping batteries between dives or complaining about leaks, my Intova Sport HD never gave me a minute of trouble. On one day I took 20+ short (~5 minute) videos of the first dive, then decided to record the entire second dive to see how long the battery would last. I completed the dive and still had battery life left.

Forgot to charge the Intova Sport HD overnight after taking the videos mentioned above. Went on a land tour of Bonaire. The battery still lasted half the day! Outstanding performance.

Watching the video on my computer is perfectly smooth. The video is in 1080p so it requires a lot of bandwidth. Next time I'll try shooting in 720 to make it easier to post online. I'm sure the image quality won't be hurt for my purposes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice video Gary! Did you have a red filter on your camera?

Nice video Gary! Did you have a red filter on your camera?

Yes, Pat, I did. Last year I was playing with the camera and started with the red filter on, then I pulled the filter off so I could see what it looked like. It was very obvious. Without filter everything has a blue haze and the colors don't pop. I had posted it in SB and the folks at Intova liked the contrast so much they asked to use it at their dive shows as a demo video.

Tom was showing me on the boat that the red filter on his Go Pro screwed on so tight he couldn't get it off (I think it's a dry filter) My filter on the Intova is a wet filter (water between filter and lens) and can be easily installed or removed.

For the price I can't see how the Intova Sport HD can be beat. (I have no relationship with Intova in any way.) I am just seriously impressed with this camera. An last year when I was having technical issues, Intova worked with me in a very positive way until they decided it would be best to just replace the camera. They shipped me a brand new one and also paid for the return of the old one. I couldn't be happier with Intova.

Last edited:
Yes, Pat, I did. Last year I was playing with the camera and started with the red filter on, then I pulled the filter off so I could see what it looked like. It was very obvious. Without filter everything has a blue haze and the colors don't pop. I had posted it in SB and the folks at Intova liked the contract so much they asked to use it at their dive shows as a demo video.

Tom was showing me on the boat that the red filter on his Go Pro screwed on so tight he couldn't get it off (I think it's a dry filter) My filter on the Intova is a wet filter (water between filter and lens) and can be easily installed or removed.

For the price I can't see how the Intova Sport HD can be beat. (I have no relationship with Intova in any way.) I am just seriously impressed with this camera. An last year when I was having technical issues, Intova worked with me in a very positive way until they decided it would be best to just replace the camera. They shipped me a brand new one and also paid for the return of the old one. I couldn't be happier with Intova.

Indeed,when I got mine it was between the Gopro3's that just released and the SP1. SP1 won hands down,the great screen,nice build quality and awesome price - not to mention the addons and no extra frills i'd never use made it a clear win. That Red filter makes a massive difference

Here's one of my first clips,you can see the massive Blue tinge at the start,before I realized I forgot the filter off :blinking: [video=youtube;GmPSrCjBKtc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmPSrCjBKtc[/video]

I just went through my video files data to add up the total minutes I recorded on a single charge. The grand total for a 51:50 dive, plus various other videos through out the two dives that day, plus half a day of top-side touring of Bonaire the next day was a grand total of 95 minutes. There was still a small amount of charge left but I didn't want to push it too far at the end until it actually died.

These are real numbers. I can't help but wonder how many Go Pro users get flooded on the second dive because they had to open the housing to change the battery.

That is some great video. You by chance have any samples of the pictures? I am still weighing between the Intova and GoPro3 (and so far all my research is leading me to the Intova).

Did not take any stills. Wife had still camera.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Great report and I agree with everything stated. My buddy and I were using a GoPro Hero without the flat lens (you don't need to buy a flat lens for the Intova) and the quality was substandard to say the least. I wanted something different and after a vast amount of research I decided one the Intova. What I wanted is without additional cash I got the back display, flat lens and it goes deeper than the GoPro. Well my buddy was not sold at first until he saw the finished product. We never used the GoPro again. You can go to the the Intova thread to see some our work as well as JamesK's. We are putting these cameras thru the worst conditions, i.e. caves, deep, low vis and most of the time all at once. I love the battery life but would rather have the ability to turn off the display when I want it to via the auto display off as it is right now. It does save me battery life but really pisses me off when it goes blank while filming. Not a deal breaker but... Anyway, what red filter are you using? This was shot with the camera out of the box with a lot of light. Underwater Forest at Lake Norman Quarry - YouTube

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom