Internship in Southeast Asia???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Danish

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there,

When I took my PADI Open Water last year in Thailand I met a British guy who did an internship for the diveshop. He told me that prior to coming to Thailand he had never dived before and now he was working for the diveshop as a divemaster assisting the instructor on dive classes.

Anyone here went from PADI open water to PADI Divemaster in 3-4 months on an internship in Southeast Asia? I would like to have some advice from anyone who tried it.

1) How did the deal work for you? One pays for accommodation at the diveshop but diving and diving instruction is free?
2) what should I expect to pay?
3) Is there anything in particular one should pay attention to in order not to end up in an impossible situation?
4) Can you recommend any diveshops in Southeast Asia who offer these internships? (in particular in Thailand, Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia)

Looking forward to your replies :)

Hello Danish, welcome to Scubaboard and Happy New Year!

Your friend was actually one of many people who come to beautiful and inexpensive Thailand to become divemasters and instructors. Quite of a few of them, in fact, are members of Scubaboard and are now working as instructors in Thailand or elsewhere However, I think all of them would agree with myself that you have to be very careful where you choose to do your training to make sure it's not only good quality, but also a good and safe deal for you.

The first, most-important thing you need to know is this:

It is illegal in Thailand for a dive shop to "pay" you for your work with courses and training. Yes, some shops in Southern Thailand do offer this, but if you are caught, you can be arrested, deported and blacklisted from entering the country again.

The other thing is that if you research questions about internships and "free" divemaster courses right here on Scubaboard, you will see time and time again that people -- most of them professionals in the industry -- advise against doing them. The problem is that not only are they illegal, they're a scam most of the time. You work like a dog for months at things that have nothing to do with making you a good, safe and skilled PADI Professional, such as pumping tanks, cleaning gear, scrubbing out the toilets, etc., rather than working at your craft. The hours are lousy as well, starting work at 5 a.m. and/or finishing at 11 at night.

The fact is that if you are serious about pursuing a career -- or even just a career-level certification -- then it's worth paying for. And once you realize that, you'll understand what many people choose us here at Aquanauts Dive Centre in Pattaya. Just this week, someone just like you who posted a question about internships on Scubaboard a few months back signed up with us, joining a good half-dozen other active SB members.

Out Diving Instructor Training internships will take you to Divemaster from the Open Water in 3 months. Yes, it is possible to do it in less time, but in 3 months you'll get the opportunity to log about 150 dives, repeatedly lead dives in all different conditions, assist with countless courses and have lots of time to work on your studies and peers to work with you.

Most of our DM interns, by the way, decide to go on to instructor, which takes only 1 more month from where you are.

Now, our program is not free, but it is a great, 100% all-inclusive value. You get all your courses, the manuals, all certification fees (including your Divemaster application fee), National Geographic Diver status, 3 months accommodations, a full set of professional grade dive gear (yours to keep), UNLIMITED DIVING for the full 3 months, you choice of 3 packages of bonus courses plus a 1-year membership in our exclusive Jobs4Divers scuba industry job placement service.

Full details are on the website here:

AQUANAUTS: PADI Divemaster Internship Courses Pattaya Thailand Dive Master DM Exams Training

What makes the Aquanauts program unique is that we intentially keep the program small, preferring to focus on individuals and small groups to produce the highest-quality PADI professionals possible. We don't pass DMs with just-barely passing marks. We wait until you are scoring at or near the top of the range of scores before signing you off. The same goes with our instrucdtors. Our candidates have a long and proven track record or scoring at or near the top of every PADI Insturctor Exam class for the past 3 years.

We are also the only center in Central Thailand with two in-house Course Directors working from the shop every day and the only dive center in the world (that we know of) that owns and operates a separately incorporated, standalone job-placmeent company for the diving industry. When you train with us, you get exclusive access to jobs 48 hours before the rest of the world gets to see them and our staff employment counselors work with you face to face to prepare your resume and cover letters and get them out for employers to see.

Pleasse see the website for more information and feel free to PM me through Scubaboard or call our free tellephone numbers from the US, UK and Australia.

Hey Danish,

I'm looking for the same option. Also done my OW in Thailand and now think about going Pro maybe next year also in SE Asia. Let me know whether you found something interesting. I know Samui International offers 6 months internships and they are quite OK.

Good diving

Ditto what Aquanauts said regarding 'free' internships. Never heard a good story about anyone who 'worked' in return for training. However, Thailand is full of busy dive centres that will offer intern courses that you pay for (and get value from).

Of course, there is Aquanauts and Mermaids in Pattaya. Not my favourite place in Thailand, but good dive centres by all accounts. The other popular option is Koh Tao, with a huge range of large and small dive centres that you could consider.

Check out the Aquanauts website for an idea of what these internships can cost and will include. Another good website is for Davy Jones Locker in Koh Tao - they offer some amazing packages and I've heard some very positive praise from their DMTs. There are also centres like Crystal Dive Resort (large school) and Seashell Divers (small school).

When considering where to do an internship, there are some major questions that you need to ask....

1. Do I like the dive centre? Is it somewhere I would choose to dive in other circumstances?

2. Do I like the instructors and divemasters that work at the dive centre? They will be your role-models and mentors on the course. Are they utterly professional, friendly and up to your desired standards? How experienced are they at diving worldwide? What qualifications do they have (OWSI, MSDT, IDCS, Tech, Dive Medic Technician etc?). How long have they been certified?

3. What added value will I get with the course? Compressor and kit maintenance? Deep diving? Advanced First Aid? Tech?

4. How many other DMTs will be on the programme? IMHO - the fewer the better. Smaller numbers means you will be more integrated as a valued member of the team and will learn more about the industry.

5. Will I have a one-to-one mentor?

6. Are there any added costs (certification fees? accommodation? manuals? kit? etc)

Your choice of dive centre will mainly be a personal thing - dictated by your personal preferences. Some DMT programmes are just an excuse to drink heavily for several months - other produce excellent quality professional divers. For some it is a route into a diving career, for others it is a route to expert diving skills - for some it is an extended party. Make your decision and then seek out a dive centre that fulfils your requirements. Look further than the websites - email them, get opinions and references - and, ideally, visit in person before booking.

Hope that helps,

Andy

I would also add that aside from the dive center's personality and standards you might want to consider the quality of diving and lifestyle. If you prefer high-quality diving, but a very relaxed/non-party kind of place, then our Divemaster Course might be of some interest to you.

Khao Lak is usually skipped over on the list of places for DM internships due to the quiet lifestyle. There aren't really nightclubs or "karaoke" bars.

And follow Andy's advice - just contact them to se what they have to say.

Also check out Pimalai Divers on the west coast of Thailand (Koh Lanta); Lumba Lumba on Pulau Weh (Indonesia) and Big Bubble on Gili Trawangan (also Indonesia).
Pimalai Divers will be starting a DM Internship around the beginning of October, with the view to working as a DM for the rest of the season following certification.

Hi guy's check out Diving Thailand Pattaya scuba diving with Real Divers, A British run family PADI Diving Center making diving fun from beginner to professional for already 13 years and counting. Real fun, Real safe and Real deals. at the moment iam doing the pay as you go internship and its great as the guy's say its pay as you go you can leave at any time with out losing any cash much better deal than Aquanauts or Mermaids where you have to pay up front and dont get refunds .Happy diving ..........

Back
Top Bottom