Internet and DM Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neuronix

New
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have about 4 months of time starting the beginning of June and I'd like to see if I can't go from AOW to DM in that time in Thailand or perhaps elsewhere in SE Asia. While I'm training, I'll be doing some consulting work as a programmer, and so I need to ask about the availability and reliability of Internet options in the various places where there is good diving and training. Part of the reason I'm choosing SE Asia is because my consulting position doesn't pay very well and the Carribean is just far too expensive, so cost is a concern as well.

I would welcome any feedback about Internet options and where to go given my situation.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I think it is a wise decision to come over and look at different dive centres in Thailand and do courses when you think you have come across a good place. It seems like you have plenty of time after all.

In Thailand I would look at doing your diving in the Gulf (ie Koh Tao or Koh Samui) or Phuket/Krabi/Phi Phi during the earlier months. The Andaman sites of Similans and Surin only come into their own in November.

With regards to internet in Thailand the service and cost is generally very good. If you are based on the mainland you can hook up to ADSL with no problems at all. It has also become quite common for people to use wireless cards either in your PCMCIA slot or through USB. The connection is not as fast but I get speeds of up to 20kb/s on downloads.

I imagine Koh Samui has ADSL hook ups too but I dont know about Koh Tao. I'm sure someone else would be happy to answer that for you.

Good Luck.

You can find wireless in many places. In places like Samui and others Cyberpoint has a paid service. You could check their webpage for pricing. My recommendation is that you select a place that offers it at a good rate or included in the rent. Connections vary and sometimes are a bit slow. For email and chat you should be okay for the most part.

An other option is to rent a room or place near a Net cafe. If they offer wireless you may be able to cut a deal on monthly access. You may also get lucky and find an unsecured network. Worst case just go to a Net cafe and work. Less than ideal....

If you want more info on Samui PM, as that where I did most of my training. My wife is a translator and work mostly on line so this was a primary consideration when choosing a location for extended stays.

Samui has good options for internet access and there are many (cheapish) accommodation deals to be had that either include or for a small extra will have wifi available.
Within the time frame mentioned you should be able to complete both your DM and IDC training, feel free to PM me if you would like to receive more information about Samui.

Thanks for your replies guys. I ended up breaking my leg a few days after that post! But, I'm almost healed now, so off I go anyways :D. Settled on Ko Phi Phi I guess, but we'll see how it works out! Will report back in any case.

Phi Phi is probably a good choice in terms of Internet access, and of course there is beautiful diving there. I'm sure cost of living & courses would be a bit cheaper on Ko Tao, though.
Best of luck!

No need to wory about the internet, in Thailand most or all of the tourist resorts have good internet available at relatively low costs.
There are places that will do your rescue course in 2 days, and as long as you will have 60 logged dives by the end of the DM course, some shops will do this in 10 days or less. If you pay your money I am sure you will find a shop that will fulfill your requirements. 4 months should be plenty of time.

Back
Top Bottom