Interesting underwater ruins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jake

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm interested to know if anyone has been to the site of any underwater ruins that they'd recommend for a trip. By ruins, I'm thinking broadly: known sites like Port Royal, Alexandria, and intentionally flooded towns, as well as those of dubious status like the Yonaguni Monument.

For my purposes here I'm not concerned with shipwrecks or mines.

Since I don't have the scientific bona fides to get permits to protected sites, I'm interested in ones that the average tourist diver can get to with just the correct recreational or technical training.

Thanks!

@Jake,

You said you are not interested in shipwrecks, but I have to recommend: Nave romana which at 60 meters, so just the edge of normoxic trimix if you dive OC (though when I dive it, I hope to be on CC). This is on my bucket list.

There is Pavlopetri in Greece: The Ancient Underwater City in Greece. Fairly shallow.

There are underwater ruins between the Greek island of Kalymnos and Telendos, but that area is closed to diving.

We have plenty and lots of those in Libya. There is one in particular that is a complete city in 5 - 10 meters underwater. We don't know the exact civilization it belongs to but it appears to be pre-Roman civilization.

We have plenty and lots of those in Libya. There is one in particular that is a complete city in 5 - 10 meters underwater. We don't know the exact civilization it belongs to but it appears to be pre-Roman civilization.
and now Libya is on my bucket list....

Burhan, you may want to talk to MAST (Welcome). One of their underwater archaeologists has done a fair bit of work in Egypt. Maybe Libya could be placed on their radar. I can put you in touch with a trustee if you wish.

Do you happen to know what the site is called or approximately where it is?

Burhan, you may want to talk to MAST (Welcome). One of their underwater archaeologists has done a fair bit of work in Egypt. Maybe Libya could be placed on their radar. I can put you in touch with a trustee if you wish.

I'll be very interested indeed. I'll check their site but if you know somebody I should communicate with, please do let me know. I am actually in the UK right now.

I'll be very interested indeed. I'll check their site but if you know somebody I should communicate with, please do let me know. I am actually in the UK right now.
Burhan,

I just got off the phone with this particular MAST trustee discussing my project in Greece. I did mention your situation, and he's interested. I'll start a FB chat introducing the two of you.

Just off Provo, Turks & Caicos. I was told it was a failed French game show set. And that it failed b/c contestants kept getting bent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom