Interesting Times on Commercial Dive Ship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBASailor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this post, but it seemed less out of place here than any other.

I just spent a week commissioning an electronic monitoring system for the Saturation System on a huge commercial dive ship. As an open water recreational diver, I was fascinated to learn about saturation diving first hand. All the Sat techs aboard were former commercial divers and were more than happy to show me the ropes.

I always knew that saturation diving was a demanding profession, but now that I've see it first hand, I realize that it's more difficult than I had thought. It's a tough way to make a living.

As they were loading the dive bell on the ship, one of the supervisors told me that we were one of the few that ever gets to see a dive bell from the bottom! I was amazed to learn that the bell weighs 12 tons.

My only regret is that I can't be aboard for the sea trial. All in all, a very interesting week indeed. Thanks to all aboard the Ocean Patriot.

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this post, but it seemed less out of place here than any other.

I just spent a week commissioning an electronic monitoring system for the Saturation System on a huge commercial dive ship. As an open water recreational diver, I was fascinated to learn about saturation diving first hand. All the Sat techs aboard were former commercial divers and were more than happy to show me the ropes.

I always knew that saturation diving was a demanding profession, but now that I've see it first hand, I realize that it's more difficult than I had thought. It's a tough way to make a living.

As they were loading the dive bell on the ship, one of the supervisors told me that we were one of the few that ever gets to see a dive bell from the bottom! I was amazed to learn that the bell weighs 12 tons.

My only regret is that I can't be aboard for the sea trial. All in all, a very interesting week indeed. Thanks to all aboard the Ocean Patriot.

The bell is our mother ! She keeps us alive :D

Glad you got a glimpse into the Brotherhood of the Deep.

...Living & working in a high tech. tin can with an express "Bell-Elevator" to the job-site!

T'ain't no life like it; did 35 days straight once - that's a long time in some relatively small real estate! Been many years since my last sat., & systems are vastly more liveable now than "back-in-the-day".

I wish the lads "going in" aboard the 'Ocean Patriot' safe dives & big paychecks!

Regards,
DSD

Thought I wanted to do it yrs ago. My hats off to the guys doing it.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

One of the more amusing stories the Sat Tech told me about is listening to divers have an argument inside the Sat chamber. They sound like screaming chipmunks. That must be a hoot to hear!

Yes, it's an interesting occupation that few get to appreciate. Are you employed by Oceaneering International or were you under contract to the Marine Services Division? They use to have only one M7 system; have they expanded their saturation capacity? I assume you were involved with Gulf operations; is Mike Johnson still the Diving Manager there?

Actually, I am a subcontractor for one of the contractors. I don't know any of the Oceaneering management. I'd love to meet some of them, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom